Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Making appliqués for a Lorica Cuirass Musculata cold castin
Original Roman Gorgons on armor
[Image: gorgon4_JPG.jpg]

My cold cast appliqué
[Image: IMG_3977a.JPG]

Authenticity alert! I should have carved a negative image into stone with a hammer & chisel, melted down a few gold bars and poured the molten metal in... sorry but, that's just a wee bit beyond my abilities so I had to go with a more modern equivalent... cold casting.

To make the molds I softened the plasteline clay in the microwave for about 60 seconds and then pushed my small gorgon broach into the clay and engraved myself some wings, along with a small eagles head, and a snake ribbon under the chin (all of which are standard motif for a Roman Gorgon), using the wood clay tools in the images below.

Unfortunately, pretty much no one seems to make the appliqués necessary to copy standard Roman Lorica motif ( I found one set of Gryphons but they cost nearly $200 alone)… so, I needed to make my own.

[Image: IMG_3962.JPG]
Vale!

Antonivs Marivs Congianocvs
aka_ANTH0NY_C0NGIAN0

My ancient coin collection:
[url:3lgwsbe7]http://www.congiano.com/MyCoins/index.htm[/url]

Messages In This Thread
Making appliqués for a Lorica Cuirass Musculata cold castin - by AntonivsMarivsCongianocvs - 04-25-2007, 03:39 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Making a lorica squamata for a seven year old boy - some questions Iskierka 1 871 10-15-2018, 04:04 AM
Last Post: Crispvs
  Leather Cuirass Lorica Musculata, I used to think no way but AntonivsMarivsCongianocvs 209 61,392 06-19-2013, 04:46 AM
Last Post: Vitruvius
  Major update by Travis Lee Clark Lorica Musculata Antonius Congianocus 6 4,338 01-06-2013, 02:27 PM
Last Post: Alexandr K