Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What aspect had the legionaries who captured Jesus Christ?
I think it's safest to assume that these troops would have been auxiliaries. Pilate was an equestrian governor, and did not have the senatorial rank of a legionary legatus. So unless there is evidence that legionary detatchments (or individual legionaries) could have been put under the command of an equestrian governor (not counting Egypt!), better just to conclude that he only commands auxiliaries.

The impression I get is that crucifixion duty was not exactly a fun chore. It was more likely on a par with latrine cleaning, and I doubt Pilate would have inflicted it on his personal guards. Plenty of grunts in the rest of the cohort.

Again, playing it safe, auxiliary troops are generally thought to have been equipped with lorica hamata, plainish helmets (generally brass), oval shields, two or more lancea (throwing spears), and gladius. Plus the "usual" tunic, cloak, and caligae or other footwear. (Graham's Osprey books are terrific for this!) Of course, there is a lot of debate and gray area about this, so there are other possibilities! I agree that the troops at the Crucifixion might not have been armored, though it's possible that the arrest squad was. Helmets and/or shields but no body armor, maybe?

My old rule of thumb is that EVERYthing you see in a movie is probably wrong. Sometimes something accurate will sneak in, but probably by accident. If the movie is good otherwise, ignore all the junk and enjoy. Oh, one recent exception to the rule is "Alexander", in which most of the equipment actually looked a lot like it should. Remarkable! I didn't see the movie, though, and reviews were, uh, mixed, shall we say? Didn't see The Passion, either, but I figure the Book was better.

That help a little? Valete,

Matthew
Matthew Amt (Quintus)
Legio XX, USA
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.larp.com/legioxx/">http://www.larp.com/legioxx/

Messages In This Thread
Roman Judaea - by Graham Sumner - 10-22-2006, 02:23 PM
Re: Roman Judaea - by GALLA PLACIDIA - 10-22-2006, 04:52 PM
Re: Roman Judaea - by Narukami - 10-22-2006, 05:07 PM
ARTICLES - by Graham Sumner - 10-23-2006, 11:31 AM
Re: What aspect had the legionaries who captured Jesus Christ? - by Matthew Amt - 10-24-2006, 07:40 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Jewish costume at the time of Christ Arthes 26 8,201 03-20-2006, 03:34 AM
Last Post: Spurius