Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What is Buried Under the Sites of Large Roman Battles?
Hello all, this is a question that I've been wondering for some time.

What did the Romans do with their dead from battle? Were they buried underground, somehow mass cremated, or rather just left out there? If the latter, wouldn't we find hundreds of thousands of Roman legionary skeletons (and maybe even some enemies!)? Has this ever happened?

Andrew

P.S. Also as a side note, are there many original Roman legionary gear left around? I would imagine that there probably isn't much for scutii, pili (maybe the tips? and am I using the plural correctly? If it's a masculine or neuter noun, I think I am right? *goes to check Latin binder for notes*) etc. as those were made of wood, if I recall. But I have seen some helmets, gladii, and I think some lorica segmentata and the like? If anyone has pics of original Roman military gear, I would love to see some pictures here. Thanks.
Andrew James Beaton
Looking for ancient coins of Gallienus, Postumus, Victorinus, Tetricus I and II, and the Severan Era!

Messages In This Thread
What is Buried Under the Sites of Large Roman Battles? - by IMP GALLIENVS AVG - 10-18-2006, 09:22 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Roman sites in the Cotswolds Purplest 9 4,199 08-01-2016, 06:14 PM
Last Post: Purplest
  Roman sites along the Danube Jona Lendering 28 7,296 06-29-2011, 12:19 PM
Last Post: Arahne
  Roman Military sites Oct 11 3,040 06-19-2010, 11:15 PM
Last Post: Longovicium