Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roman Political Re-Enactment Modernized
Well, that's a heated discussion! It's very easy to misinterpret mail in fora, as a very large amount of how we normally communicate is lost. Then there are the different paradigm's to counter, as a European, I sometimes have trouble understanding American concepts, even though i spent my childhood in the VI.
Rome, as a concept, was many thing to many people, even at the time. Your place in society would have certainly shaped your outlook on life (and it's expectancy!!). It is important to take this into account when wanting to be a Roman. Then there is the period under discussion to be understood. The political system of the Republic differed greatly from the system under the Empire, but both were rife with corruption, thank god for the present Western system of parliamentary Democracy, with all its failings and shortcomings.
Perhaps it would help if Chris was a bit more specific as to his concept of Roman society and the way he thinks this could be modernized, for in true fact, he may find several countries in bigger Europe have a modernized version of Rome. The comparison may however not be to his liking (or to ours!), but at least it would clear up what the concept is we're talking about.

Forgive typo's, spellcheck on the blink :oops:
Salvete et Valete

Nil volentibus arduum

Robert P. Wimmers
www.erfgoedenzo.nl/Diensten/Creatie Big Grin

Messages In This Thread
Re: Roman Political Re-Enactment Modernized - by Robert - 10-13-2006, 07:35 PM
Re: Roman Political Re-Enactment Modernized - by Gaius Decius Aquilius - 10-13-2006, 08:39 PM
Roman Politics - by Caius Fabius - 10-20-2006, 04:52 PM
Re: Roman Politics - by Chris Weimer - 10-20-2006, 06:12 PM
generic links - by Caius Fabius - 10-20-2006, 11:02 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Was the political system of the Roman Republic unique? Corvus 3 2,067 08-01-2019, 08:12 PM
Last Post: CaesarAugustus