Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Noob re-enactor: should I purchase this gladius?
Any tips for what I can do to make this sucker a little more authentic?

Quote:I recently got one of these gladii to re-work for a client of mine. The blade is nice, and the wooden core of the scabbard is good, but nothing else is either accurate or really all that nice. The guard and pommel appear to be pine or another light-colored softwood and are rather crudely made, the scabbard leather is PAINTED some awful brownish burgandy, the metal furniture isn't even remotely accurate, the buckle on the baldric is a watchband buckle (and a cheap one at that), the leather is stiff, dry and smelly. So for $80 it's a good blade, but needs a lot of work to be remotely close to being authentic. That being said, there aren't any other inexpensive commercially-available gladii that are really so much better. All are half-hearted attempts that require a fair bit of work too, so I say get the cheapest one with a good blade as this is the most important part- the one few can fix for themselves if flawed.
Kevin Dopke

Marcus Lucilius Severus
Legio XXIV

Messages In This Thread
Re: Noob re-enactor: should I purchase this gladius? - by sillious saurus - 06-24-2006, 09:10 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is this Lorica Segmentata a bad purchase? sillious saurus 13 2,748 07-07-2006, 01:37 PM
Last Post: Magnus