Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Abandonment of the Gladius for the Spatha - Why?
Quote:Yes, but the spatha had always been the sword used by Roman cavalry. The question here is why was it adopted by the late Roman infantry as well.
Yes, that´s what I wanted to hear - the spatha is primarily a cavalry weapons.
But - did not the auxilia also (sometimes) have spathae as well, while legionary infantry had the gladius?

Quote:][I'm still inclined toward it representing part of a change or adjustment in battlefield tactics myself.
I agree.
The gladius was first developed as a stabbing weapon. I´m told that a Hispanic gladius (sp?) was primarily for stabbing, but that a Pompeii is also a slasher. Apparently, a gladius is ideal for the scutum/stabbing tactic, where you unbalance your opponent with your scutum and then stab him. Shoot ne down if I´m wrong, Early Roman tactics is not my forte.
Later of course, when all the Germans and Celts had run out, the primary enemy besides the Parthian became.. other Roman legions. I can´t help but thinking that it was this period that must´ve influebced battlefield tactics as much as contact with other peoples had.

Therefore I´d say that if all the infantry is wearing a spatha, there must be something on the battlefield that caused them to need a longer weapon.
Also remember that during Late Roman times, large battles are no longer the rule but the exception.
Quote:First of all, the change towards the spatha and oval scutum took place BEFORE the big contingents of barbarian troops appear in the army. and about the cavalry, it became the important arm in the army in later times...but if you look at the armies in the 4th century the infantry is still the main and most important part and the Roman opponents, except for the Sasanides don't deploy more cav than usuall. SO imho cavalry can't have been the important factor for the change.
I agree. The cavalry started out with the spatha (so metallurgy can´t play a role it this), and they kept it. If the spatha was so successful, the infantry would have used it long before. yet they didn´t. Also, the oval scutum was never gone, it was used by the auxilia, so that did not play a part either.
Quote:Now if you and your century are called to stop some 100 Alemannes running wild in the village behind the next hill I guess you don't form battle lines and such. you would automatically have much more individual fights, skirmishing and so on and for that I'd prefer the Spatha.
Spathae are still unsuitable for fencing - you´d loose your fingers. :!:
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)

Messages In This Thread
Re: The Abandonment of the Gladius for the Spatha - Why? - by Robert Vermaat - 01-17-2006, 06:11 PM
connolly\'s banal theory - by Goffredo - 04-10-2006, 08:44 AM
connolley on shortness - by Goffredo - 04-10-2006, 10:02 AM
how about - by Goffredo - 04-10-2006, 11:24 AM
East & West - by Celer - 07-27-2006, 03:42 PM
of course, unlikely - by Goffredo - 07-29-2006, 06:11 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Gladius-Spatha/Contus Legate 7 1,246 03-05-2019, 03:27 AM
Last Post: Paullus Scipio
  Update on the Spatha and Gladius fighting techniques! Martin Wallgren 96 29,866 08-14-2014, 10:02 PM
Last Post: john m roberts
  Difference in Spatha Legions vs Gladius Imperium 15 10,499 04-20-2011, 05:05 PM
Last Post: M. Demetrius