Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A History of the Idea of Glued Linen Armour
Twining is a form of weaving correct? It seem like this is a very plausible means of making the armor. For me the weave question is separate from the type of linen itself being twined. Has anybody encountered any modern spliced and twisted linen? The textile folks are all excited about it, but is it really such a big difference? Some big names in that community think so.

"I doubt that anyone is producing oil-tanned leather in exactly the same way as was done in the ancient Mediterranean. What we can get is of the same family, so to speak." It is not that important to me that the recipe and manufacturing technique be 100% authentic in every detail to arrive at some awareness of the efficacy of the material in regard to armor. Another big question is about the hide itself, with thickness not being as important as density of the skin. Density also means weight so all that ready to work lightweight leather we see in the leather stores is suspect now. I do see some folks using the lightest leather they can find to make their at times really beautiful reproduction tube and yokes...with not much thought as to that leather's ability to stop or even slow down a spear thrust or arrow head. These are not what I would call armor as they have little or no protective qualities, but some do look really really good.
Joe Balmos

Messages In This Thread
RE: A History of the Idea of Glued Linen Armour - by Creon01 - 10-09-2021, 06:04 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Wink Greek linen armour - what did it look like? Draugr the Greedy 4 1,937 12-14-2019, 04:14 PM
Last Post: Feinman
  Earliest Modern Mention of Glued Linen Armor? Creon01 11 4,462 12-13-2017, 04:15 PM
Last Post: Sean Manning
  Glued Linen Armour- a simple test Matt Lukes 239 60,491 03-09-2010, 04:42 PM
Last Post: PMBardunias