Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help With Realistic Late Roman Clothing for Starting Out?
(06-20-2017, 10:46 PM)Liburnius Wrote: Which, in your experiences, are realistic examples of tunics, belts, trousers, and footwear, in the styles that existed between the 3rd through 6th centuries AD?

For the tunic, which represent common variations of patterns, and were plain tunics without decoration still worn in those times? I would be interested in exploring the options for the belts, as well. Were I to acquire a tunic, I would like to go about as slim as historical accuracy approves, as I am quite slim, which means I would ideally want to avoid buying a tunic with too wide or too long sleeves, and perhaps too baggy in the body, even though they were quite voluminous garments already, taken in somewhat by the belt.

If I understand correctly, trousers were extremely common, yet still optional by Late Roman times, with most of those forgoing the trousers living along the Mediterranean, especially Italy. I think Rome, at a certain point, had a standard of dress that required people to not wear them in the city, for being perceived as barbaric, but I cannot recall from which book I've read that. It may have been one of Ian Hughes' books on Roman generals, or an Osprey book. Wool and linen seem to have been the most common materials, but was cotton ever used for clothing in Late Antiquity?

Also, what are examples of shoes, sandals, or boots that were worn in these eras? Earlier Roman caligae won't cut it for depicting a later period, wouldn't it?

I might be interested in starting off with a late Roman civilian impression, rather than military, due to the expenses of gear, although it is possible that I may hold off on that, as well. I would be interested in realizing what a rural Illyrian or Italian Roman commoner would have looked like, but I'll take other suggestions as well. Thank you for your valuable insight!

In a nutshell, check out Medievaldesign.

http://www.medievaldesign.com/eng-prodot..._chiave=33

I can help you with belt fittings if you are more specific with what date you're looking for.

Pretty much everyone wore trousers, and yeah that law did exist at one point during the 1st century AD. In hot areas they wore linen trousers instead of wool.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Help With Realistic Late Roman Clothing for Starting Out? - by Flavivs Aetivs - 06-22-2017, 12:17 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Clothing Patterns for Late East Roman/Byzantine Decimus Brutius Varus 12 3,207 01-13-2013, 03:58 AM
Last Post: TDawson
  Just starting- C3rd Roman InsulaVecta 33 7,225 10-08-2011, 05:17 PM
Last Post: magister clarissimus