Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"Ancient Crime" on the History Channel
Anyone who has actually examined REAL Roman military equipment, instead of admiring incorrect, vastly improved fantasy versions made by self-respecting armorers (who would rather show off their craftsmanship and make big money, than make something crude, cheap-looking, but authentic), will soon discover that most original Roman military equipment is actually "crap", and most Deepeeka pieces show a higher degree of workmanship. Welcome to the real world.<br>
<br>
I know of some European Roman groups that have become elitist clubs where everyone is expected to spend thousands of dollars on their gear. Of course, these people hate it when "mere peasants" can look virtually as good as them from 10 feet away with inexpensive Deepeeka gear.<br>
<br>
And the biggest irony is that the "peasants" with their affordable Deepeeka gear are generally more authentic, because the Elitist stuff is made far better than most Roman originals that were issued to regular, rank and file legionaries.<br>
One could even say that the elitists' too-perfectly made, unauthentic fantasy, $2000.00 plus helmets are the real "crap".<br>
<br>
The first modern, relatively authentic "Roman" group guarded their sources carefully and did everything possible to discourage other Roman groups because they were little more than "paid performers", and didn't want to lose their business to other groups whom they could only regard as competition with their "show business" mentality. This was the environment when I essentially started the "second' oldest group, and the first which could genuinely be called a "Reenactment group" in the true sense. Nothing in my book was made in India, that all came later. Like the elitists, I could have been content with being one of only a handful of groups in existence then, but REAL reenactors want to see realistic, large numbers of other Roman soldiers at their events, and to experiment with maneuvers and simulated combat that require hundreds of other reenactors to properly execute. This is why I help Deepeeka. So there can be hundreds, and eventually thousands of authentic reenactors in the world, as there should be.<br>
Now, if they could all only be willing to work together, and form authentic conturburnias instead of ridiculous, 4 to 8 man legions.........<br>
<br>
Dan<br>
<p></p><i></i>

Messages In This Thread
Re: Criminal History: Ancient Rome - by Anonymous - 03-25-2005, 01:22 PM
Re: Criminal History: Ancient Rome - by John Maddox Roberts - 03-25-2005, 03:39 PM
Re: Crap? - by Daniel S Peterson - 03-26-2005, 01:23 AM
Re: Crap? - by Caius Fabius - 03-26-2005, 02:34 AM
Re: Crap? - by FlaviusCrispus - 03-26-2005, 03:01 AM
Re: Crap? - by Marcus Seneca Cato - 03-26-2005, 06:16 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Criminal History: Ancient Rome Gaius Octavius Drusus 14 2,822 04-05-2005, 03:54 PM
Last Post: John M McDermott
  Another History Channel Filming, soon Matthew Amt 29 4,625 10-18-2004, 01:00 AM
Last Post: Crispvs