Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What would be the standard vexillation size?
Renatus wrote:
'Signa cohort' or 'signum cohort' seem to be awkward combinations of Latin and English nouns and I don't see how they would work in a sentence. Did you find the expression in one of your sources or is it a term that you have coined to describe the two cohort organisation that you have mentioned?

It’s a working title I coined so as to not cause confusion for me when writing. Not sure what term to use. A signa can also refer to a orbis or group of zodiacs, which got my interest.As two senators commanded the cohort, maybe “senatorial cohort.” However, I am questioning whether Dionysius and Livy have used the size of a cohort in their day (480 men) for the legion of 460 BC, which should be organised into cohorts of 240 men. So using 480 man cohorts, Dionysius and Livy would end up with five cohorts each of 480 men under the command of two senators. Now if two senators commanded a 240 man cohort, then each  senator commands a maniple. According to Polybius, the senior  centurion commands the maniple, so I think Dionysius and Livy are basing their calculations on 480 man cohorts. I'm putting stress on the five part legion organisation to see if it holds up.

However, the five part organisation of the legion works for my numeri organisation for the late Roman legion. So it all looks good on paper but does that mean it is right and is there such a thing as a standard numeri organisation.

Messages In This Thread
RE: What would be the standard vexillation size? - by Steven James - 03-11-2016, 11:52 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Vexillation deployment question dadlamassu 2 356 07-01-2021, 06:04 PM
Last Post: dadlamassu
  The Vexillation antiochus 40 6,720 10-19-2014, 09:54 PM
Last Post: Flavivs Aetivs