Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What would be the standard vexillation size?
James Ajiduah wrote:
So what about equestrian provinces during the first century A.D?

I have no idea. My research is focused on the organisation of the legion from 753 BC to 410 AD, which has five vexillations. How they distributed them among the provinces is not my area of interest.

Nathan wrote:
If the vexillation consisted of a single cohort that would make sense. What references are you using?

I did not say a vexillation consisted of one cohort. I wrote “I have found other references to vexillations being termed a cohort, and it is a common practice among ancient historians.”

Nathan wrote:
While many vexillations do seem to have been c.1000 men, and/or two cohorts, the differences in both purpose and command of vexillations suggest they were of variable size.... It would seem very unlikely that all these detachments were same size, or numbered 960 men each.

In a previous posting I showed the numbers for vexillations being of variable size and the reason why, so we are in agreement.

Nathan wrote:
Vexillations sent on active service to join a campaign army would be different to those detached as garrisons or to do construction work, but both use the same name.

I have stated before that a detachment varying in size can be termed a vexillation by a ancient historian. Sulla is mentioned as having three cohorts in reserve, this does not mean a legion did not have ten cohorts.

Nathan wrote:
However, usual practice was for the legionary force to equal the number of the auxiliaries. So if Agricola had 8000 auxiliary infantry and 3000 cavalry, his legionary strength should have been c.11,000 men. If he had four legions available, but no full legions present at the battle, each vexillation must have numbered between two and three thousand men...

Again, I am in agreement.

Messages In This Thread
RE: What would be the standard vexillation size? - by Steven James - 03-10-2016, 06:59 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Vexillation deployment question dadlamassu 2 365 07-01-2021, 06:04 PM
Last Post: dadlamassu
  The Vexillation antiochus 40 6,772 10-19-2014, 09:54 PM
Last Post: Flavivs Aetivs