Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What would be the standard vexillation size?
Hello Nathan. I would not dispute a vexillation consisting of differing numbers. The term vexillation can also be used in a general way and without consistency of the numbers of men involved. For some years I have been mapping the numbers in the primary sources and there is a constant pattern from the republic to 410 AD showing a vexillation had a standard size. In some time frames there is no numbers, but in a later period there is information (numbers) indicating full strength vexillations. Your (CIL 10, 5829) is one such example that shows the pattern continues Also the number of men can vary depending on who is omitted. For example a vexillation will be reduced in numbers if half the pilani are left behind to garrison the camp or all the pilani are left behind. Before Marius, Pliny tells us a legion had five standards, the eagle, the wolf, the minotaur, the horse and the wild boar. As the eagle is connected with the first cohort, I believe Pliny is describing the standards of the five vexillations in their order of seniority, which is:

The eagle standard           1st Vexillation
The wolf standard.       ....2nd Vexillation
The minotuar standard.....3rd Vexillation
The horse standard...     ..4th Vexillation
The wild boar standard.....5th Vexillation

Steven

Messages In This Thread
RE: What would be the standard vexillation size? - by Steven James - 02-12-2016, 04:20 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Vexillation deployment question dadlamassu 2 356 07-01-2021, 06:04 PM
Last Post: dadlamassu
  The Vexillation antiochus 40 6,720 10-19-2014, 09:54 PM
Last Post: Flavivs Aetivs