Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Was the Roman Army the most effective fighting force pre-gunpowder?
What, and no mention of Alexander's Macedonians?! Wink Interesting argument though. I think tactics would play much more a role than psychological factors. We are talking about large groups of men meeting one another to try and stab and or chop each other into bits - if we can imagine the meeting, I'm sure they would have been able to figure out the rest. That being said, the legions at the height of their prowess were always primarily best at shock infantry tactics, no? Depending on terrain and the enemy, that could be a boon for them, or a strike against them, ala Crassus at Carrhae.

I've heard of people making arguments like this, but primarily in favor of Alexander's Macedonian armies. Would have been interesting had Rome's armies been able to meet Alexander in his primer.
Alexander

Messages In This Thread
RE: Was the Roman Army the most effective fighting force pre-gunpowder? - by Alexand96 - 12-07-2015, 11:23 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How effective was Roman artillery in Field battle? Mrbsct 7 4,271 05-13-2013, 10:57 PM
Last Post: Valerian Pertinax
  How would Roman scouts number an opposing force? Marja 6 2,458 11-17-2012, 04:39 AM
Last Post: john m roberts
  When to use a knee to force someone back? Natuspardo 14 3,887 05-19-2007, 09:01 PM
Last Post: Mitra