Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Late Roman Helmet Deurne-Berkasovo Variant II
Quote:Robert are you sure you are not mixing up helmet types? I'm using the typology used by Miks which is used for essentially the majority of the bi-partial bowl helmets of the later Roman period. Variant I being the ones with a base ring, Variant II being the ones with the nasal and cheek/neck guards attached to the bowl. I know the actual Deurne helmet has hinges, but the majority of the helmets of the Deurne-Berkasovo variant II type clearly did not have hinges of metal.

No I'm not mixing my types up, but metal hinges are less common than I assumed (and why I should not write from memory without my books present). Miks' typology is not as simple as the old Intercisa/Berkasovo typology. Before the Koblenz hoard I guess we differed between the helmets with no base ring/no nasal/slender cheekplates/bipartite bowl (Intercisa) and the ones with a basering/nasal/wide cheekplates/bipartite or more (Berkasovo), with of course a few hybrids. I realise that this has been complicated since the Koblenz helmets turned up.

Still, when metal hinges occur, as far as I can tell, they occur on the helmets with the larger cheekplates (Berkasovo type).
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)

Messages In This Thread
Late Roman Helmet Duerne-Berkasovo Variant II - by Robert Vermaat - 07-21-2015, 06:18 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Berkasovo jeweled helmet ….neck guard Doc 5 2,760 09-26-2016, 02:04 PM
Last Post: Doc
  Where have those late roman helmet pics gone?? richard robinson 6 2,515 03-19-2014, 07:56 PM
Last Post: Flavivs Aetivs
  Detailed picture of the Berkasovo helmet Virilis 7 3,688 02-22-2014, 07:38 AM
Last Post: Virilis