Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Late Roman Helmet Deurne-Berkasovo Variant II
Robert are you sure you are not mixing up helmet types? I'm using the typology used by Miks which is used for essentially the majority of the bi-partial bowl helmets of the later Roman period. Variant I being the ones with a base ring, Variant II being the ones with the nasal and cheek/neck guards attached to the bowl. I know the actual Deurne helmet has hinges, but the majority of the helmets of the Deurne-Berkasovo variant II type clearly did not have hinges of metal.

All the Deurne-Berkasovo type helmets in the Koblenz horde have leather strap hinges (or a leather strap/buckle attachment). This image shows the remnants of the leather hinge with a brass retaining washer.

[attachment=12557]Kolenz-Miks1.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=12558]Kolenz-Miks3.jpg[/attachment]

One detail that I should have had done (to match this original) is to have the hinge rivets on the bowl side moved up away from the stitching about 1-2 cm from the edge. Unfortunately it got lost in construction translation. There is an example from Koblenz which had the leather hinges attached higher up on the bowl, although the majority (of the Koblenz and other helmets) had the hinge rivets in line with the stitching holes as was reproduced here.

[attachment=12559]RivetHoles-measurements.jpg[/attachment]

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Markus Aurelius Montanvs
What we do in life Echoes in Eternity

Roman Artifacts
[Image: websitepic.jpg]

Messages In This Thread
Late Roman Helmet Duerne-Berkasovo Variant II - by Markus Montanvs - 07-21-2015, 05:58 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Berkasovo jeweled helmet ….neck guard Doc 5 2,760 09-26-2016, 02:04 PM
Last Post: Doc
  Where have those late roman helmet pics gone?? richard robinson 6 2,515 03-19-2014, 07:56 PM
Last Post: Flavivs Aetivs
  Detailed picture of the Berkasovo helmet Virilis 7 3,688 02-22-2014, 07:38 AM
Last Post: Virilis