Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Question of Accuracy - Imperial Helmets
The above helmet offered by Rusty through his business is a Deepeeka reproduction. The original was found in the Hebron area of Israel. It could possibly date to the Third Jewish War era (circa AD 132) under Hadrian. I saw the original when it was on loan at the Museum of Antiquities in Newcastle (UK) in 1978. I also have its picture in my copy of HRR's The Armour of Imperial Rome - actually four views of it. Technically, like many reproductions, they don't get all the details right. The original has very shallow steps on the occipital region of the back of the helmet just above the neckguard; the bronze band on the front of the brow reinforcement is narrower, etc. Interestingly, the ear guards on the original actually angle/curve back toward the helmet bowl at the rear, rather than going straight down to the neckguard as in the Deepeeka reproduction.
Quinton Johansen
Marcus Quintius Clavus, Optio Secundae Pili Prioris Legionis III Cyrenaicae

Messages In This Thread
Question of Accuracy - Imperial Helmets - by Quintius Clavus - 06-21-2013, 04:08 PM
Question of Accuracy - Imperial Helmets - by Doc - 06-21-2013, 04:39 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  banded helmets of the 5th century question (finished St. Vid Chuck Russell 23 7,505 11-25-2009, 06:34 PM
Last Post: Simplex
  Imperial-Italic D helmet:question Caracalla 22 6,143 07-13-2007, 09:15 PM
Last Post: Celer
  Imperial Italic G question Iosephus 3 1,567 06-03-2006, 07:34 PM
Last Post: Iosephus