Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
a new Imperial Gallic \"I\" helmet
Hello guys,
I want to let you know a new (and imho up to now unknow) imperial gallic "I".

Is very interesting because its main feature is being extremely similar to the Aquincum one, they are quite twins, so much that I'm pretty confident it is from the same workshop, although from different hands.

General shape and most of the features are quite identic, only some small ones are different.
More or less, diameter of the bowl is around 19 cm, high 16 cm without the crest holder, neck guard is angled around 42-43°.
Since images are better than words, If you take a look at the attached photos, you can easily see all features of the Aquincum one.

The general condition is very good, perhaps better than the Aquincum one (about this we have to take in mind that this is heavily restored, with a large part of the bowl not original. Once found, it was broken in several pieces, further, if I remember right, the crest holder is original but not matching and a cheeckpiece is a modern reconstruction) the biggest damage is on the brow, where a 12x2 cm piece has been broken off in ancient times. Because of this, only a 6 cm long fragment of the eyebrow decorative strip is still in place (plus another small piece on the left side), provided by a separate sheet.
Plumes holders are fragmented but still recognizable.Only one cheeckpiece is surviving, still retaining the ring for the chin strap in the inner, the other one is missing, except a small fragment still attached at the helmet.
Brow band is in perfect condition, strong and undamaged.Handle on the neck guard is undamaged itself.
The main problem is a big crack on the neck guard, but I guess it can be easily repaired. Further, despite it has been found many and many years ago, it is still badly encrusted by an strong dirty layer, which must be cleaned.

All its features are very typical to the "I" specimens:
- is not in bronze but in copper alloy;
- it has a "pawn shape" crest holder. Up to my knowledge, within the imperial gallic only the "I" type has such shape of crest holder;
- it has the carry handle, very uncommon in Gallic types from A to H, but on the contrary common within I specimens. Further, it has exactly the shape showed in the Robinson book for the I types;
- no decorative studs;
- it has the plume tubes, very rare in the other imperial gallic types, but common tpo I type.
- Cheeck piece is the type showed by Robinson book for type I

Btw, in my humble opinion, is the only one existing of the Aquincum type, besides of course the one in the Budapest Museum.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Marco

Civis Romanus Optime Iure Sum

Messages In This Thread
a new Imperial Gallic \"I\" helmet - by marcos - 01-16-2013, 07:23 PM
a new Imperial Gallic \"I\" helmet - by marcos - 01-17-2013, 02:12 AM
a new Imperial Gallic \"I\" helmet - by marcos - 01-17-2013, 03:08 AM
a new Imperial Gallic \"I\" helmet - by Doc - 01-17-2013, 08:27 AM
a new Imperial Gallic \"I\" helmet - by marcos - 01-18-2013, 01:21 AM
a new Imperial Gallic \"I\" helmet - by marcos - 01-18-2013, 01:46 AM
a new Imperial Gallic \"I\" helmet - by marcos - 01-18-2013, 05:57 PM
a new Imperial Gallic \"I\" helmet - by marcos - 01-18-2013, 11:09 PM
a new Imperial Gallic \"I\" helmet - by marcos - 01-19-2013, 11:36 PM
a new Imperial Gallic \"I\" helmet - by raeticus - 01-21-2013, 12:28 AM
a new Imperial Gallic \"I\" helmet - by Robert - 01-21-2013, 03:07 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Imperial Gallic J - Robinson's mistake? Konstantin Ankilov 6 2,428 01-24-2021, 12:44 PM
Last Post: Militarus
  Roman helmets: Imperial Gallic/Italic and Ridge - comparisons and sources CaesarAugustus 92 18,802 12-16-2020, 08:39 PM
Last Post: CaesarAugustus
  Imperial Gallic I Moguntiacum Marc 3 1,890 07-16-2018, 08:54 AM
Last Post: drsrob