Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Combination of niëllo and silvering on belt plates
Niels

The article by Morel and Bosman about what was discovered at Velsen was published in Roman Military Equipment the Sources of Evidence from the fifth Roman Military Equipment Conference edited by C. van Driel Murray, it is in the BAR International Series 476 1989.

The beltplate I did find myself however this particular pattern of plate with exactly the same decoration has been found at several places around Britain, it was not filled with niello but had a red and turquoise infill with the red along the top and bottom boarders.

These inlays were of a paste type that set hard very similar to an apoxy resin type of inlay but what the sustance was I do not know.

Where Mike Bishop has mentioned tinning I would go along with that idea however the Velsen article does tell us silvered plates prior to their covering with silver sheet, so did Morel or Bosman have exact evidence that they were silvered previous or have the just assumed this.
Brian Stobbs

Messages In This Thread
Combination of niëllo and silvering on belt plates - by PhilusEstilius - 10-03-2012, 02:10 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  My Roman Belt with mixed plates models. Rado 15 5,901 08-05-2017, 10:06 PM
Last Post: Flavivs Aetivs
  Tinning belt plates 2biggij 9 3,322 04-14-2017, 04:34 PM
Last Post: brennivs - tony drake
  Niello.....? Doc 6 2,498 10-20-2015, 05:53 AM
Last Post: Crispianus