Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
\'Yin Yang\' Sign in Greco-Roman Culture
First, I'm sorry to say that I don't know of any comprehensive study of the symbology in ancient art.

As far as I know, there is no connection with the same Eastern Symbol to have been found. It also predates Roman culture, having been seen in Celtic and Etruscan art as early as 4-5th Centuries BCE. The fact that it is first seen in Celtic art suggests that the Etruscans probably borrowed it from them, and then to Rome by absorbing the Etruscan culture into their own.

Many of the "symbols" seen in Roman art are representations of the Gods. For example, the modern symbols used for male and female were Mars and Venus, respectively. The circle with a cross in it represents Gaia, or Earth.

I haven't really looked into it a lot, but it may initially appear to be a representation of the sea, or possibly Neptune. I really emphasize that this is a reach on my part, and do apologize if this is more of the same shallow argument you've experienced in the past on the subject. It does appear to be a simple rendition of the zodiac pisces, that of two fish swimming around each other. In much of the earlier art, it was seen in, on, or with horses, which we know from our mythology came from Neptune. However, I would also like to think that we'd see more of it on cavalry decorations, if that were the case.

I have also seen the "yin yang" on the base of an eagle, but can't remember where. If you think of the Nazi Germany symbol with the hooked cross (aka "swaztika") below the eagle, you'll get what I mean.
Marcus Julius Germanus
m.k.a. Brian Biesemeyer
S.P.Q.A.

Messages In This Thread
\'Yin Yang\' Sign in Greco-Roman Culture - by Marcus Julius - 10-10-2012, 01:08 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Dogs in Greek/Roman culture? FarDarter 6 3,498 08-20-2015, 06:32 AM
Last Post: Crispianus
  The Lateen Sail - A Greco-Roman Invention Eleatic Guest 28 12,220 10-29-2013, 03:08 PM
Last Post: Flavivs Aetivs
  Lead hull sheating of Greco-Roman ships Titus Martius 6 2,854 04-15-2007, 04:29 PM
Last Post: Tertius Mummius