Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lead hull sheating of Greco-Roman ships
AVETE!
I am presently searching for Greco-Roman ships construction including lead sheating. I have come to conclusion that lead sheating disappeared from Meditterranean with fall of the Western Roman Empire in cca 5th century, but latest available info on lead sheathed wreck comes from first century AD. Does anybody have information about lead sheating from first century till the end of first millenium?
Martin
That's great. I am also looking for that, although I haven't got very far yet.

I found two references yet:

[quote] Students more knowledgeable about ships than I am might be able to work out what sizes of merchant ships correspond to the trireme and the penteres, allowing first for the trireme being of exceptionally light build and secondly for the lead sheathing of the hull that seems to have been or become usual in merchant ships (K. de Vries in G.F. Bass, A History of Seafaring 49).

Source: R. M. Cook, “Archaic Greek Trade: Three Conjectures 1. The Diolkos,â€
Stefan (Literary references to the discussed topics are always appreciated.)
Thanks, I know several wrecks from 5th century BC till 1st century AD including Kyrenia. But what I cannot find are ships sheated after 1st century AD till the end of first millenium.
Martin
Did you check the NAVIS website?

http://www.rgzm.de/navis/home/frames.htm

It's a cumbersome website with an all but userfriendly design, but information aplenty. Regarding your research, you've probably checked that one.

One of the most obvious causes for the phenomenon you've described may be the lack of wrecks of large military vessels during that period, maybe caused by a decrease in overall numbers of seagoing warships (there are several small river-based vessels documented from Rhine or Danube).
With large-scale piracy eradicated and no other competetive seafaring nation present in the meditarranean by the end of 1st C., there was no more need to keep the big ships running. A few, and some for representation, would do the trick.
But I'm guessing wildly here; the large K. Viereck "Roman Fleet" book's safely out of reach at the moment.
Tertius Mummius
(Jan Hochbruck)
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.flavii.de">www.flavii.de
Quote:Thanks, I know several wrecks from 5th century BC till 1st century AD including Kyrenia.

Could you provide your references? Smile
Stefan (Literary references to the discussed topics are always appreciated.)
[size=75:2fh3nsav]
Quote:Did you check the NAVIS website?

http://www.rgzm.de/navis/home/frames.htm

It's a cumbersome website with an all but userfriendly design, but information aplenty. Regarding your research, you've probably checked that one.

One of the most obvious causes for the phenomenon you've described may be the lack of wrecks of large military vessels during that period, maybe caused by a decrease in overall numbers of seagoing warships (there are several small river-based vessels documented from Rhine or Danube).
With large-scale piracy eradicated and no other competetive seafaring nation present in the meditarranean by the end of 1st C., there was no more need to keep the big ships running. A few, and some for representation, would do the trick.
But I'm guessing wildly here; the large K. Viereck "Roman Fleet" book's safely out of reach at the moment.
[/size]

SALVE TERTIE!
Yes I know NAVIS website and I've searched through internet such a pages like Wrecks & shipfinds Worldwide and many others using names of particular wrecks.

I am not only looking for warships but for any ship with lead sheating after 1st century.
Martin
Hm, interesting ... Konrad Viereck doesn't mention metal sheating for civilian ships at all, at least I haven't found anything.
I'm sorry I couldn't help you.
Tertius Mummius
(Jan Hochbruck)
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.flavii.de">www.flavii.de

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Lateen Sail - A Greco-Roman Invention Eleatic Guest 28 12,175 10-29-2013, 03:08 PM
Last Post: Flavivs Aetivs
  \'Yin Yang\' Sign in Greco-Roman Culture Eleatic Guest 7 3,219 05-30-2013, 12:06 PM
Last Post: Robert Vermaat
  Roman Lead Poisoning Once Again ... Still Narukami 9 2,918 05-13-2010, 01:01 PM
Last Post: Simplex