Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Greek Helmets. with or without crests.... ??
It makes absolute sense that wooden crestboxes were the general mode of mounting horse hair to the helmet (for reasons listed above). I don't subscribe to the theory that only high-ranking hoplites wore crests. If everything else in the panoply was so indiviualized, then why select only the crest to signify rank. This, of course, does not include Spartan Polemarchs, who wore the transverse crest, but they were a select few. Literature, pottery and statuary bear out the fact that crests were not uncommon by any means. Yes, it is logical to assume that the gentry had the best armor; it would follow that they would also be able to afford more "bling" on their panopy, so a more elaborate crest could have been an option. However, I do not advocate the use of materials other than wood for the boxes, as agility is more valuable in battle than "bling." One other point - re: the hypothesis that Corinthian helmets were a vision/hearing impairment, I reply, "Poppycock!" If you have ever worn a proper-fitting Corinthian, you will find these assertions are completely false.
Bill

Messages In This Thread
Re: Greek Helmets. with or without crests.... ?? - by katsika - 02-03-2012, 08:53 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Greek Helmet Crests Giannis K. Hoplite 48 19,615 04-29-2015, 08:31 PM
Last Post: urricjohnson1908
  Greek Helmets With Scales Iphitos 47 9,000 05-10-2014, 05:20 AM
Last Post: Feinman
  Greek helmets galore The Oracle 176 47,475 04-11-2010, 02:20 PM
Last Post: Gaius Julius Caesar