Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Late Roman Army Grade/Rank List under Anastasius
Some interesting points are made here.
If a soldier retired - or if he died in battle - another soldier moved to his position. It's in the nature of things and was very likely a standard procedure in all contuberni. I'm not sure if there was a need to create a special group, where more than 220 soldiers were "waiting" to get one of the 50 jobs of the first group (just in the case of the veredarii). Not sure about this, but such a special pool is not known to me in roman history.
Fact is that ἄλλοι or ἄλλος (the "oi" is spoken as an "i" in german or "e" in english), means indeed "alii" (others). I cannot see a reference here for adlecti or a similar term.
But if so, then the term has been used contradictory at the slabs. The adlecti are soldiers which are "already chosen". Also confirmed in the example of adlectus in comitatu imperatoris (AE 1949, 38). At the slabs the "ἄλλ" are always named second after the main-group. So, the "flaviales" are named first, then the "ἄλλ.. flaviales" are listed.
If we would consider now the term "adlecti" instead of "others" then the sequence would be another one. The first group would be called "flaviales adlecti" (the chosen flaviales, also those who get higher pay), then the normal flavialis would be named second. But here it is exactly different.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Late Roman Army Grade/Rank List under Anastasius - by Marcel Frederik Schwarze - 07-06-2017, 07:34 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Late Roman Army during the 5th century Robert Vermaat 89 17,599 01-11-2024, 04:34 PM
Last Post: Magister_Officiorum13241
  Late Roman Army Ranks - Numeri/Limitanei jmsilvacross 14 1,877 11-17-2021, 01:42 PM
Last Post: Steven James
  Roman camps UK - is there a database or list? Steve Kaye 55 11,164 01-28-2021, 07:22 PM
Last Post: Alan316