Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Article on the L. IX Hispana (Factual????)
Salvete omnes,
Having watched the documentary 'Rome's lost legion', and i must say really enjoyed it,I thought i would relay my response.

I am not sure that they can proclaim, as the documentary does, that the mystery of the IX/VIIII has been solved when the expert evidence was littered with phrases such as quote]my guess, very likely, may have been, assume, imagine, possible, looks like, could be and strongly suggest [/quote]

Quote:Aswell as The IX/VIIII was one of Rome most crack units & Premier, elite units in the roman army
I am reasonably confident that the schedule and budget of the documentary didn't exactly help Dr Russell in putting over the evidence or rather lack of evidence, but for the programme to explain
Quote:All evidence points to the legion being destroyed in britain
then later go on to say
Quote:The absence of evidence suggests the IX/VIIII was destroyed
doesn't really help.

As for the the assumption, by the documentary, that the IX/VIIII actually engaged in the fighting at Mons Graupius AD83 is,as far as i can conclude, incorrect Tacitusc tells us that
Quote:Agricola ordered his men to draw up in rank and file of 8,000 auxillary infantry formed the core of his formation supported by 3,000/5,000 cavalry spread out on the flanks
Quote:As Agricola's intention from the start ,along with his choice of auxillaries in preference to the classic dense shield wall of the legions
(Duncan B Campbell)
The size of the legionary force is unknown but again Tacitus says Agricola deployed the legionary vexillations as a reserve in front of the roman camp.(Duncan B Campbell).

Having aired my views i must commend Dr Russell on, if not the historical accuracy on parts of the documentary and his eventual conclusion,(we all see things differently) but sharing his opinions and his interpretation on this subject

Valete omnes
Quadratus

Messages In This Thread
Re: Article on the L. IX Hispana (Factual????) - by Andy Lambert - 03-19-2011, 04:40 PM
Re: Article on the L. IX Hispana (Factual????) - by Steve Eckersley - 03-25-2011, 03:06 AM