Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Umbones for republican scutum
Crispvs, I was using the term "Celtic" from the non-historian perspective, which would include the Gauls (I know, I know, I've heard the bazillion word arguments for and against...) So, really, if the Gauls are lumped in, then Caesar would have had access to their craftsmen, of course. The patterns are not the same as, say indigenous Brittonic lines, or La Tene mirror back decorations, but to me, they have a similarity to a generic "Celtic" pattern, as opposed to a realistic representation of vegetation. More abstract than objective, I guess, would be a better description. The design reminds me of Cowboy tooled leather.

Any way you look at it, though, it's a very attractive piece of work.

Would it be reasonable to say that an engraved boss (hand-engraved, not stamped by hydraulic presses) would be considerably more expensive, so perhaps more appropriate for a veteran, or an officer of one sort or another? Just thinking, not trying to start a fight.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.

Messages In This Thread
Umbones for republican scutum - by Cacaius - 02-17-2011, 12:49 AM
Re: Umbones for republican scutum - by Crispvs - 02-19-2011, 08:03 PM
Re: Umbones for republican scutum - by Cacaius - 02-19-2011, 08:12 PM
Re: Umbones for republican scutum - by M. Demetrius - 02-20-2011, 09:16 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Planning my first plywood Republican scutum, advice needed torongill 2 1,642 11-02-2017, 08:31 PM
Last Post: torongill
  Fitting a scutum (Republican) with carrying strap ParthianBow 19 5,030 03-06-2013, 01:41 AM
Last Post: ParthianBow
  Republican scutum Tarbicus 18 6,146 01-17-2013, 02:46 PM
Last Post: Tarbicus