Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Republican scutum
Took my Daniyal Republican scutum, changed the umbo for a celtic wooden umbo (chiselled to fit a convex surface), modified the bronze part, and repainted the shield face. The nails holding the bronze umbo are upholstery nails which turned out to be (surprisingly) very strong.

The bronze of the umbo is reshaped that way (straight edges) because I've seen a find like it, with four nails still attached in a similar configuration. It was in a PDF linked to here on RAT, but I've lost the link and the PDF since.

[Image: Repub_scutum_front_zpsa47ef080.jpg]

I was also reading about various groups' work regarding the Fayum scutum, and got a copy of Die römische Armee im Experiment with Christian Koepfer's chapter on the shield. So I added rings and things to the back (from B&Q), with jute chord.

[Image: Repub_scutum_rear_zps4466751d.jpg]

Useful links:
http://www.legxiii.at/fotos_reko_fayum.html
http://rambambashi.wordpress.com/2012/03...xperiment/
https://www.armamentaria.com/store/index...cts_id=273
http://www.roman-reenactor.com/roman%20s...0plan.html

I did ponder over a painted design, but I really like the plain yellow with blue border, based on reconstructions in the Osprey centurion book.
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Looking very nice, Jim! Also good to see you're back on RAT Big Grin
ALA I BATAVORUM
Thanks Jurjen Smile I have to say I really enjoyed getting stuck into the bits I've been doing. Bench grinders, power files and planers are awesome!
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Welcome back, Jim! Very nice scutum, the colour really stands out positively from the usual lot Wink ...
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
[Image: fectio.png]
Thanks Jyrki.
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Long time no see Jim, welcome back and all that..

The backside - oof - hurts the eyes! :woot:
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
It's a thing of beauty, Robert Smile
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Quote:Bench grinders, power files and planers are awesome!
I successfully concluded an experiment a couple of weeks ago to determine if I could trim my left thumbnail with a spinning table saw blade. It works, and it's very fast, but not very precise. I also discovered that my thumb was filled with red fluid that was evidently under pressure, as it spilled out fairly rapidly.

No real harm done, just some pain for a few days. It looks like the nail is going to grow back, and I still have almost full use of the digit. Stopped my guitar practice for a little while, too. Maybe the world's ear is better off. Cool

I really like the lines and color of that scutum, too. Very neatly done.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Quote:It's a thing of beauty, Robert Smile
That it is.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
The colours are based on the Stabiae hunting fresco.
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Found the PDF that had the umbo. Page 11 of 'Roman Republican weapons, camps and battlefields in Spain: An overview of recent and ongoing research'.
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Well done, Jim Big Grin
Vinícius Alexandre Rodrigues
Excellent work Tarbicus.

But how exactly is used this system of 9 rings?

I've seen the links, but i was questioning me about how "Die römische Armee im Experiment" use this system. For example, for what are the 2 bigger hooks?

It'd be very helpful if you upload some pictures using this system.

Thanks a lot
Greetings
Quote:Excellent work Tarbicus.

But how exactly is used this system of 9 rings?

I've seen the links, but i was questioning me about how "Die römische Armee im Experiment" use this system. For example, for what are the 2 bigger hooks?

It'd be very helpful if you upload some pictures using this system.

I've no idea about how it was used or the configuration. All I know is what I gleaned from the references I gave. An umbilical hernia means I won't be doing any experiments, I'm afraid :wink:

One thing that the larger rings might do, as seen in the photos in 'Die römische Armee im Experiment', is extend some space between the soldier's upper back and the scutum when being carried like a backpack. Just a thought.
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Ups, sorry about your hernia Sad

And any fhoto in "Die römische Armee im Experiment" showing the purpose of the loops labeled "A" or "B" in this picture?

[Image: repubscutumrearzps44667.jpg]

Thanks and regards

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Planning my first plywood Republican scutum, advice needed torongill 2 1,612 11-02-2017, 08:31 PM
Last Post: torongill
  Fitting a scutum (Republican) with carrying strap ParthianBow 19 4,992 03-06-2013, 01:41 AM
Last Post: ParthianBow
  Umbones for republican scutum Cacaius 5 2,471 02-20-2011, 09:16 PM
Last Post: M. Demetrius