Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The "Myth" of the "Dacian Falx" as a super weapon
Quote:
diegis:qgcjdmmt Wrote:Well, look at this picture and tell me which next roman will hit?
[Image: dacians_box_art.jpg]
How about the one right behind that very same shield? :|

Well, my opinion is that after such a hit (which i dont think anyway was a common one), the roman will be unbalanced, his hand who keep the scutum will be lowered by the force of the hit and his body will lean forward as well. And, if the tip of the falx wouldnt pierce his helmet or at least shoulder (unlikely to not reach him), the Dacian will simply pull the blade toward him, unbalancing even more the legionar before to be able to regain balance and hit with the gladius. The legionar either will be dragged and fall maybe on knees, if he dont release the shield, or, if he let it go (not quite easy) he will remain without the shield, in front of a dacian who maybe, or maybe not, already released his falx, and in front of other dacians, either armed with falxes, so with longer swords then his gladius, either with a shorter sword (Sica or even Gladius type) and a shield, so not a good moment for him in anyway.

Its just a hypothese however, unfortunately most of the writings about Dacian Wars was lost, including "De Bello Dacico" of Traian, and is not sure how exactly such fights occured
Razvan A.

Messages In This Thread
Re: The "Myth" of the "Dacian Falx" as a super weapon - by diegis - 10-16-2010, 10:40 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Dacian Falx test diegis 8 6,163 03-02-2017, 07:29 AM
Last Post: Crispianus
  Dacian Falx, by R. Wimmers Gaius Julius Caesar 54 8,844 06-27-2013, 03:48 PM
Last Post: Gaius Julius Caesar
  Dacian Falx JeffF 56 17,860 11-18-2010, 03:13 AM
Last Post: M. Demetrius