Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The "Myth" of the "Dacian Falx" as a super weapon
Quote:Interesting discussion here.
Though I am indifferent if the two handed falx was actualy a designated weapon and what people it was used by, it is quite significant that it does not only appear on the Adamklissi metopes but is also featured on the Tropaeum base next to other implements of war.
I would find it strange if the Romans would dedicate such space in these monuments for a simple makeshift defensive tool used only once in a small skirmish.
There is however one important issue with considering this weapon to be overly effective.
I do posses a (blunt) Falx myself that I have tried to use against varouis opponents in controlled freefight bouts and I would not consider it to be a good weapon for an unarmored user to utilise.
If you look at the spectacular picture of the sharp Falx splitting the Scutum, you see that the wielder has extended himself quite far, has wedged his weapon in the Scutum of his adversary (though I doubt this would happen very often under battlefield conditions) and would not be able to react in any way to a counterattack.

First of all, i really doubt that such hits was usualy used. Second, if such hit will be done however, the roman who keep that shield will be badly hit, probably in head area, with the tip of the sword piercing the helmet, or in shoulder, and will be quite unbalanced by the hit anyway and unable to counterattack imediatly. Then the dacian can drag him even more pulling the falx from the scutum so the roman either need to leave the sheild to regain balance, either will be draged in his knees probably, and either way the dacian will be able to release the falx from the scutum before the roman be able to counterattack him with his gladius. Its just hypotheses anyway

Quote:In short even if he managed to wound his direct adversary he would be very dead by a stab form the next Roman opposing him.
The Falx is simply to shorthandled to give the reach - and thereby tactical flexibility and protection - that true polearms provide.
I doubt if a mass of unarmored shieldless combatants would be very suitable as shock infantry against ordered Roman ranks, even if these would not utilise their pila against this mass of unprotected targets.

Well, look at this picture and tell me which next roman will hit?
[Image: dacians_box_art.jpg]
Anyway, i dont think that such cutting thru scutum hits will be often done, but over the upper edge, from lateral and even against the legs. Any such hits are possible if you look at the dacian from the left.
I doubt as well that falx wearers will be the first who frontal attack romans ranks, before the pilla to be used

Quote:As for the superior cutting abilitys of curved weapons it should be noted that almost all weapons designed for an efficient cut have the outward curvate sharpend and not the inward curvate.

Yes, almost all, but not all. And i agree that falx wasnt a super weapon, but was a quite effective one .
Razvan A.

Messages In This Thread
Re: The "Myth" of the "Dacian Falx" as a super weapon - by diegis - 10-15-2010, 08:10 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Dacian Falx test diegis 8 6,163 03-02-2017, 07:29 AM
Last Post: Crispianus
  Dacian Falx, by R. Wimmers Gaius Julius Caesar 54 8,844 06-27-2013, 03:48 PM
Last Post: Gaius Julius Caesar
  Dacian Falx JeffF 56 17,857 11-18-2010, 03:13 AM
Last Post: M. Demetrius