Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The "Myth" of the "Dacian Falx" as a super weapon
Quote:
Matthew Amt:1o88hu6h Wrote:This is one possible reason:
1. The Romans wore manica on their shield arms?
2. Did you try two-handed chops with some of the other types of sword the Romans faced? I reckon that even a gladius hispaniensis could so similar damage under the conditions in that photo.
I wouldn't go that far. A lot of ancient swords have hilts which are only suited for a one-handed grip, and with any staff weapon or long-hilted sword you can get a powerful lever action by pushing with one hand and pulling with the other. I don't have a problem with the idea that a two-handed falx would be a very powerful cutting weapon ... but I agree with you and Paullus that there isn't a lot of evidence that these were purpose-made weapons in common use.

A comparison all-out cut with different patterns of gladius and spatha would be interesting to see.
Nullis in verba

I have not checked this forum frequently since 2013, but I hope that these old posts have some value. I now have a blog on books, swords, and the curious things humans do with them.

Messages In This Thread
Re: The "Myth" of the "Dacian Falx" as a super weapon - by Sean Manning - 10-12-2010, 06:05 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Dacian Falx test diegis 8 6,178 03-02-2017, 07:29 AM
Last Post: Crispianus
  Dacian Falx, by R. Wimmers Gaius Julius Caesar 54 8,872 06-27-2013, 03:48 PM
Last Post: Gaius Julius Caesar
  Dacian Falx JeffF 56 17,914 11-18-2010, 03:13 AM
Last Post: M. Demetrius