Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Centurio helmet crests or crests in general
Has anyone attempted to make a centurio crest or any crest in general using horse hair either natural color or dyed?

I already have a red feather crest but I would like to make a horse hair one myself. I looked through the Legio XX tutorial and I think that it may be sufficient as far as instructions are concerned.

I know that on many frescoes the main color for a crest is red or white. Is there any pictoral evidence that blue could have been used? Would a dark blue be a feasible or "accurate" color for a legionary centurio. The reason I ask is because blue is usually affiliated with the navy.

Speaking of colors, is it difficult to dye horse hair. It seems straight foward on the Legio XX site. However, when I was shopping around for horse hair, I was told that it is difficult to dye.

Also aside from the vendors on the Legio XX website, are there other vendors that sell white horse hair at a reasonable price. One vendor wanted $100 for 8 oz of white hair. If I have to take into consideration the wood I need to purchase, the dye, the hair, brushes etc...... I might as well have someone make it-no?

Any help or suggestions are appreciated
"You have to laugh at life or else what are you going to laugh at?" (Joseph Rosen)

Paolo

Messages In This Thread
Centurio helmet crests or crests in general - by Doc - 02-17-2009, 09:36 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Crests made from Feathers only? AMELIANVS 23 4,938 04-12-2014, 06:05 PM
Last Post: markusaurelius
  Show your Roman Crests and Crest Blocks Pointer 0 861 12-11-2012, 09:24 AM
Last Post: Pointer
  Gladiators, Feather Crests scotti73 8 3,002 05-21-2012, 05:54 PM
Last Post: Crispvs