Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Reconstruction- Real Scutum Mini-Test
Quote:Good point. The glue-soaked linen is the major element that keeps everything together and resists splitting- the parchment is extremely thin, but perhaps may add some little extra help, but seems an excessively 'different' material for just that. There must have been a rather more specific purpose and given just how rarely combat occurred, combined with its all but uselessness against weapons, split resistence to me seems unlikely- something more commonly useful is what I'd go for. But I plan to test the split theory too Wink It didn't make a difference with respect to piercing attacks so those are out, and with the increased force of an edge slash, I'm very doubtful it could possibly do better there. Maybe it helps with slashing or glancing blows?

Andy of RAT ,spoke to me recently of a test he did using glue soaked linen on a 3 plank sheild , with good results resisting piercing & slashing attacks to the shield face . he may have more to add :wink:

Good thread Guys this type of experiment is very important in helping us understand our kit. cheers Big Grin
Hannibal ad portas ! Dave Bartlett . " War produces many stories of fiction , some of which are told until they are believed to be true." U S Grant

Messages In This Thread
Scutum Penetration - by Paullus Scipio - 12-05-2008, 04:52 AM
Scutum test - by Paullus Scipio - 12-05-2008, 05:07 AM
Scutum Test results - by Paullus Scipio - 12-05-2008, 05:23 AM
Re: Reconstruction- Real Scutum Mini-Test - by barcid - 12-05-2008, 09:39 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How to Test A Scutum Hibernicus 30 8,035 04-12-2008, 01:07 AM
Last Post: scythius
  Scutum reconstruction - advice needed Tarbicus 30 5,899 12-07-2005, 02:18 AM
Last Post: Matt Lukes