Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Barrack Sizes and fort layouts
Quote:Centurion's houses, storage and magazines. Which size have you used for one contubernium and one centuria? Something's wrong with Your reconstruction, two horrea should be parallel to via principalis which are also opposite to principia (in praetentura space). Left to the principia is praetorium. On Your drawing two large houses in the center are principia and....???
For one contubernium You could use 8-10mx4m, and for one street beetween two baracks something like 4m wide. I need more detailed explanation what do You want to achieve.

Hi.

If you look at the black and white sketch provided and then look at my ''reconstruction'' you will see the granaries, the Praetorium and the Commandants house are positioned that way according to archaeological evidence. The only stuff that is conjectural is the placemente of the barracks which are the long rectangles on the image.

By the way, was a barrack block 9 rooms (one for centurio and 8 for 10 soldiers) or 11 rooms (one centurio and 10 for 8 soldiers?) I thought a contubernium was 10 soldiers.

Messages In This Thread
Re: Barrack Sizes and fort layouts - by Arahne - 05-06-2008, 10:17 PM
Re: Barrack Sizes and fort layouts - by MARCVS PETRONIVS MAIVS - 05-07-2008, 12:02 AM
Re: Barrack Sizes and fort layouts - by Arahne - 05-07-2008, 05:59 AM
Re: Barrack Sizes and fort layouts - by jkaler48 - 05-08-2008, 06:48 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Everyday Items found in a Barrack Block Paul Elliott 2 1,134 10-06-2013, 06:34 PM
Last Post: Paul Elliott