Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Everyday Items found in a Barrack Block
I'm just reading Robin Birley's book 'Vindolanda' and in it he describes the contents found in an entire barrack block, room by room (circa 105 AD to 122 AD). Its an auxiliary barrack block, and includes the infamous womens and childrens shoes. If anyone is interested in what was found dropped by soldiers going about their everyday business, I will type the results up and post them here.
Paul Elliott

Legions in Crisis
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/17815...d_i=468294

Charting the Third Century military crisis - with a focus on the change in weapons and tactics.
Quote:I'm just reading Robin Birley's book 'Vindolanda' and in it he describes the contents found in an entire barrack block, room by room (circa 105 AD to 122 AD). Its an auxiliary barrack block, and includes the infamous womens and childrens shoes. If anyone is interested in what was found dropped by soldiers going about their everyday business, I will type the results up and post them here.
Sadly that's not how archaeological deposition works. What you find in forts is no more a snapshot of everyday life than what was dug up in Pompeii is 'everyday life in a seaside town'. It certainly contains things that were used in everyday life, but they are charged with an unknown number of unknown variables, thrashed with a large, blind randomiser, and then sifted through a Sod's Law filter. That's what you get when you dig up a site, if you're lucky... usually, it's way more complex than that ;-)

Mike Bishop
You know my method. It is founded upon the observance of trifles

Blogging, tweeting, and mapping Hadrian\'s Wall... because it\'s there
That's a great way of describing archaeology!
Paul Elliott

Legions in Crisis
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/17815...d_i=468294

Charting the Third Century military crisis - with a focus on the change in weapons and tactics.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Barrack Sizes and fort layouts MARCVS PETRONIVS MAIVS 25 9,135 05-09-2008, 07:37 AM
Last Post: MARCvSVIBIvSMAvRINvS
  More Gutmann Gear on the auction block Daniel S Peterson 5 2,616 03-14-2004, 06:00 PM
Last Post: Anonymous