Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Greek writings of Celtic names...
I dont'think this is the best place for my question, but I think i will reach the most "Greeks" here... :wink:

At the moment I'm trying to com up with a Celtic name. The Celts wrote there names (when they did) in foreign characters... For example with the Greek alphabet.

I have found a Celtic name on a Celtic sword from around 60 BC written with the Greek alphabet and it go's like this: KOPICIOC, with translates now adays into Korisios...
the second part of my name will be the name of my "father" That I have taken from Caesar's "The Gallic wars" and that will be ORGETORIX, (which is probably written the Roman way) because my persona and also the sword are from Swiss.
The third part of my name will be my tribe that I have found written with Etruscan characters on a piece of pottery and go's like this: ELUVEITIE. Meaning "from the Helvetiers"

Now my question is: if i want to be consequent in writing my name with the Greek alphabet, how would ORGETORIX ans ELUVETIE look like???

Would the Etruscan Alphabet be similar to the Greek one??
Folkert van Wijk
Celtic Auxilia, Legio II Augusta.
With a wide interrest for everything Celtic BC

Messages In This Thread
Greek writings of Celtic names... - by Folkert van Wijk - 04-14-2008, 08:42 PM
Son of - by Urselius - 04-21-2008, 11:32 AM
Re: Son of - by Folkert van Wijk - 05-17-2008, 02:28 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Appropriate Greek Names Harrisonfletch 2 1,010 05-06-2020, 01:23 PM
Last Post: Harrisonfletch
  Greek names - did they REALLY mean that? Anatol Wyss 2 1,119 12-07-2019, 11:55 AM
Last Post: Anatol Wyss
  Lexicon of Greek Personal Names Arthes 17 4,708 02-12-2007, 05:34 PM
Last Post: hoplite14gr