Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Choosing a new Scutum Emblem/Scheme (Controversial!)
Hello everyone,

Below are two examples of a scutum design I've tweaked from our old one as Legio XXX Ulpia Victrix. On discussing it with a few of the members, and my own feeling to have a new look now that we'll be eventually changing to II Trajana Fortis Coh III, I figured a new shield design was in order.

The reason I noted this thread a controversial, is because the original design from Trajan's column I've changed a bit. I've removed the center smooth bolts and replaced them with this simpler, angled version noted as being on an auxilliary's shield or citizen cohort member's. It is still from Trajan's Column, but the origin of it may not be Legionary (thanks Ade!). There is also a small variation on the bolt tips...smooth and arrow-head.

The other difference is in the tablets, one version simply has LEG and II, while the other one has a bit more of the name LEG II and TR FOR. This latter one may be handy when doing events with other "2nd" named units.

Last but not least is the use of the colour green. Having scant evidence already for scutum colour, I don't want to be stretching things anymore than I have to, but the popular expression "absence of evidence isn't evidence of absence" may apply? Green paint and dyes were well known to the Romans.

I'd like opinions...I'm heavily leaning to green (there is a group in the UK currently using green on their scuta), as it will also match our tunic colour choice. There are also auxilliary units using green shields and Legions using blue tunica and blue scuta.

So please post your ideas...I'll welcome all opinions. 8)

Legion: TBD

Messages In This Thread
Choosing a new Scutum Emblem/Scheme (Controversial!) - by Magnus - 02-19-2008, 07:35 AM
Scuta colour/emblem - by Paullus Scipio - 02-19-2008, 07:29 PM
Scutum designs - by Paullus Scipio - 02-20-2008, 12:45 AM
Scutum colours - by Paullus Scipio - 02-21-2008, 06:30 AM
Scutum designs - by Paullus Scipio - 02-21-2008, 07:10 AM
Scutum colours/designs - by Paullus Scipio - 02-22-2008, 02:01 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Legionaries different uniform/armour colour scheme Jack 8 4,657 10-20-2013, 08:43 PM
Last Post: Graham Sumner
  Evidence of the Legio XIIII scutum emblem DECIMvS MERCATIvS VARIANvS 20 6,648 08-14-2008, 04:56 PM
Last Post: Crispvs
  choosing equipment DanM 16 4,056 11-20-2007, 06:55 PM
Last Post: Matt Lukes