Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Marcus Aurelius\' function on the Danube
Quote:Can anyone recommend a good book on MA, and particularly his military campaigns.

Hi, Andrew !

Your best bet is to read the biography of "Marcus Aurelius" by Anthony Birley. I have this book which also takes the reader step by step through the scenes on the column of MA. Afaik, there are few details of his campaigns from the surviving literary sources. I've checked old threads on this forum and everyone seems to concur that this book is the best one on MA.

This is also the best book on the column of MA, incidently. Most scholars and even many RAT members scoff at it, saying it's just a bad imitation of Trajan's. Not me, I love it. Partly because it shows the army fighting a challenging campaign, unlike the Dacian Wars which were tough but ultimately won in a short time. The deeply cut relief, I think, is far superior from an artistic point of view.
Jaime

Messages In This Thread
Re: Marcus Aurelius\' function on the Danube - by Theodosius the Great - 03-29-2006, 09:47 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Higher officer helmets during the reign of Marcus Aurelius and Commodus Corvus 2 615 10-21-2021, 08:58 PM
Last Post: Corvus
  Legionary Equipment During Reign of Marcus Aurelius Valerian 33 9,775 02-08-2019, 09:07 PM
Last Post: brennivs - tony drake
  equestrian statue of marcus aurelius 174 A.D. fattkid08 4 6,145 11-01-2015, 07:08 PM
Last Post: Vindex