Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Late Roman Helmet from the Fernpass, Austria
The Nasal is much closer to the camera than the rest of the helmet is. Thay's why it seems so huge.

I was wondering about that neck-guard thing too, the pic seems to show something else. Maybe the mail is above or beside it, or the mail is rusted together, so that it appears to be a solid piece at some distance.. :?:
Strange. :o

Quote: One assumption they have is that's it's from a Germanic soldier who had this made to look more Roman. I can fully understand why they think that!

Yes, but it's nothing but speculation. Until the Guttmann collection was published, some Helmets that obviously existed were thought of being made up by artists in Rome...

In this case, I'm not too much amazed. Say, a Helmet maker saw one of the new fancy eastern types (that is, e.g. around 300 AD) and tried to copy it, being only familiar with the production of helmets of the Niederbieber group. Such a helmet might be the result. But we'll probably never know. Interesting would be, especialy in this case, a metallurgical expertise for the helmet. Where did the iron come from, and where the brass? That could (!) not only help in finding out the object's date, but also in identifying the area where the helmet was made. I rather doubt a Germanic origin. At that time helmets were not so en vogue among the barbarian troops, rather among their officers/chieftains/watchamacallits. And they would rather have bought Roman helmets, which were available, as we can see from the repetitive issue of laws by Emperors, laws which prohibit the export of arms and armor. For one of those germanic officers/chieftains/watchamacallits, the helm is a little bit... er... simple.
Just some thoughts, not theories.
Christian K.

No reconstruendum => No reconstruction.

Ut desint vires, tamen est laudanda voluntas.

Messages In This Thread
Re: New Late Roman Helmet from the Fernpass, Austria - by caiusbeerquitius - 01-28-2006, 12:54 AM
Re: - by Gaius Julius Caesar - 04-10-2009, 01:56 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Christies Late Roman helmet: 1 or 2? Robert Vermaat 96 25,066 09-21-2018, 11:22 AM
Last Post: Robert Vermaat
  Late Roman Centurion Helmet Connor Augustus 3 1,875 12-22-2014, 10:00 AM
Last Post: Robert Vermaat
  Whereabouts of Late Roman ex-Guttmann helmet? aitor iriarte 20 5,329 07-27-2013, 04:51 AM
Last Post: markusaurelius