Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Abandonment of the Gladius for the Spatha - Why?
Quote:But wouldn't the fact that the sword got bigger and longer argue against it becoming a secondary weapon? It seems to me there is a general tendency throughout the ages for swords to get longer, culminating in the huge two-hand and one-and-a-half-hand swords that were introduced around 1300 after plate armour made the shield obsolete and freed both hands for using weapons.

The only time swords become shorter seems to be when they are definitely backup weapons, like the Katzbalger swords used by the German landsknechts or the smaller swords used by medieval archers.

That is to simplefy it a little bit! And the spathae is still smaller than a spear!

Quote:I'm a bit sceptical about the entire idea of thrust-only swords. For one thing it seems terribly unpractical. It also seems there are very few examples, e.g. the medieval thrusting swords designed for piercing plate armour could also be used for thrusting.

I don´t follow you here ?!

Quote:The gladius seems to have acquired a reputation as a thrusting sword somehow, but how much evidence is there really that it wasn't always a cut and thrust sword? Cf. the persistent idea of calling the gladius a short sword even though it's in fact quite debatable if you look at blade length. Maybe the thrusting gladius is simply one of those old ideas that have gotten stuck somehow?

Of course you could chop with a gladius! But! I think it is more of a stabber than a striker.

Messages In This Thread
Re: The Abandonment of the Gladius for the Spatha - Why? - by Martin Wallgren - 01-23-2006, 03:00 PM
connolly\'s banal theory - by Goffredo - 04-10-2006, 08:44 AM
connolley on shortness - by Goffredo - 04-10-2006, 10:02 AM
how about - by Goffredo - 04-10-2006, 11:24 AM
East & West - by Celer - 07-27-2006, 03:42 PM
of course, unlikely - by Goffredo - 07-29-2006, 06:11 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Gladius-Spatha/Contus Legate 7 1,252 03-05-2019, 03:27 AM
Last Post: Paullus Scipio
  Update on the Spatha and Gladius fighting techniques! Martin Wallgren 96 29,881 08-14-2014, 10:02 PM
Last Post: john m roberts
  Difference in Spatha Legions vs Gladius Imperium 15 10,502 04-20-2011, 05:05 PM
Last Post: M. Demetrius