Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Scutum reconstruction - advice needed
Fantastic - thanks Matt, you're an absolute star! Big Grin

Are you mixing sinew fibres in with the glue? The reason I ask is that the Simon James report says the linen was *soaked* in the glue and sinew. I was thinking of making a large batch of glue in a glue pot, then once it got to the right temperature and consistency mixing in the sinew fibres and giving it a good stir to make sure they are distributed well. Then, literally dunking and soaking the linen until it was completely soaked through with glue and fibres, pull it out and apply the whole sheet to the wood making sure it was completely pressed down.

Maybe I'm taking it too literally, but that would ensure there are sinew fibres on the outer face of the linen as well. I was also going to use a linen sheet that is oversized and trim the edges and umbo hole once dry.

Here's the tricky bit - while the glue is still wet I would then quickly apply the pre-prepared rawhide. Confusedhock:

Sounds like a recipe for disaster I know, but provided everything was prepped right, including in my head and I don't flinch, it should work (best laid plans...).

It's the sinew fibres that fascinate me, and I want to make sure they are on both sides of the linen. I'm also worried that using a brush will make them bunch up and become uneven.
Quote:I really doubt it'd stand up to a pilum- especially a weighted one.
Well, cricket bats and mallets use rawhide. I remember some of the guys on RAG testing artillery bolts on a seg and they didn't penetrate. Fingers crossed the multiple layers on the scutum will be just as effective, and a little battle damage should give the scutum a bit of character :?

addendum:
Matt, here are the links I also found on working with hide glue:

[url:3go9uspb]http://www.frets.com/FRETSPages/Luthier/Data/Materials/hideglue.html[/url]
[url:3go9uspb]http://www.nativewayonline.com/glueinst.htm[/url]
[url:3go9uspb]http://www.woodweb.com/knowledge_base/Hide_glue.html[/url]

Not as good as the link on the violin webpage, but my last link has a nice tip:
Quote:A small twig of fresh willow with the outer bark removed will prevent mold growth, as will an aspirin, in the glue.
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!

Messages In This Thread
metal fittings - by Peroni - 11-09-2005, 04:29 PM
Re: Scutum reconstruction - advice needed - by Tarbicus - 11-10-2005, 12:31 PM
Parchment - by Caballo - 11-15-2005, 08:44 AM
Leather supplies - by Peroni - 11-16-2005, 09:17 AM
hide glue - by Marcus Mummius - 12-06-2005, 08:09 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Planning my first plywood Republican scutum, advice needed torongill 2 1,683 11-02-2017, 08:31 PM
Last Post: torongill
  Advice needed on hispaniensis pommels........ Gaius Julius Caesar 7 2,138 04-18-2009, 11:40 AM
Last Post: Gaius Julius Caesar
  Reconstruction- Real Scutum Mini-Test Matt Lukes 25 5,353 12-21-2008, 12:45 PM
Last Post: Untilatie