Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Reconstruction- Real Scutum Mini-Test
Salvete omnes,

During the production of my latest scutum, I decided to save some of the scrap birch strips and make a small test section of scutum board to see just how it behaves under certain attack cirucumstances and the results were rather interesting:

Scutum:

The section was a rectangular, measuring about 170x120mm, and comprised of three layers of 50mm wide birch strips about 1.5-2mm in thickness (after those from Dura Europos and Masada), the outer being horizontal, the inner vertical. The strips were glued together with 312g hide glue, and the whole section, once dry, was bound in glue-soaked linen fabric of a weave matching that of the only visibly examinable artifact from Masada (thread cound roughtly 29x35). The total thickness was about 7.3mm, comparable to that shown to be accurate using extant scutum edge binding artifacts with intact securing nails. A section of 0.5mm thick rawhide parchment, comparable to that found on the Dura scutum (confirmed to be very, very thin hide- really parchment- by Dr. Simon James), was glued to the face, still keeping it within the normal range.

A second test piece that had no covering was also tested for comparison (not pictured). A section of reconstruction brass edge binding was secured to one edge of the linen-bound test piece, being a known correct thickness of 0.5mm and of the shape of an original from Vindonissa.

Weapon:

I chose to use a commercial Gladius pompeiiensis as that was the only piece I had on hand that I was willing to potentially damage if something went wrong :lol: But being of low-carbon steel, with edges as sharp as that would allow and being of nearly identical weight to a proper sword of the type, despite being incorrect dimensionally, its effect may not be so different than a proper reconstruction sword of the type (I plan to test that before too long now that I've made a proper one).

Results:

A stabbing attack on the unbound test piece (set on a grass lawn and stabbed down at) resulted in a deep penetration and fragmenting of the wood as well as splitting. Clearly the shield failed rather badly.

A stabbing attack (same method) on the linen-bound piece was markedly different- not only did the piece remain completely intact, but the point of the sword became very strongly stuck in the board while only penetrating no more than 15mm. The sword was so stuck in the board in fact, that it requred standing on the board to extract it. This effect was again encountered on a repeat stab on the area with the rawhide parchment facing, with no different penetration. A third try resulted in less penetration and correspondingly less was the blade stuck, but it still was enough to make removal a delay in action.

The times the sword was stopped by the shield board were also very significant in that it was so abrupt as to be felt by this experimenter in a negative way (it was somewhat painful), probably resulting in the third strike not being nearly as strong as the previous two and thus the shallower penetration.

The test board was then turned so the edge binding was facing up and it was braced for the slashing blows to come next. The sword was brought down with a good percentage of the force that could probably have been used and as expected it cut rather deeply in the unprotected edge- on the order of 35mm. Unexpectedly, however the blade, although brought down in a typical right-handed overhand arc, was violently twisted to the right by the impact such that hold was nearly lost. It also stuck in the shield. The second, blow, with a tighter grip on the sword resulted in a deeper cut, 55mm, but the same twist resulted, despite it being expected, and it was very difficult to remove. The momentary distraction and subsequent recovery time to remove the weapon and be ready for a reply or renewed attack was experienced.

Two further slashing attacks were made against an edge with brass binding, the first of which cut about 8mm into the 10mm wide metal, again with some twisting of the sword, the second fully transected the binding (~1cm width) and continuing a further 5mm, where it was again hard to remove. Noteworty was that the binding seems to have not only restricted the depth of the cuts but it also prevented the distortion of the wood and maintained the 'capture' of the blade.

Discussion:

I'd read that birch's fibers tend to close on a split, and now I see just how that's a major advantage in a shield. It traps anything that penetrates it and tactically, were the shield's wielder to move it to the side, the sword could easily be taken away . Certianly this little test suggests the Roman scutum was a very effective shield, that a linen facing does far more than it might initially be thought to act as a casing keeping the whole unit strongly together, and that the parchment does not act as any kind of penetration defense. Given the effacacy of the linen, it seems doubtful the parchment would significantly add to that save perhaps in terms of increasing longevity by being bettter abrasion protection over time.

There was never any doubt that copper alloy edge binding was meant to be significant weapon defense, but it certianly did reduce the severity of damage to the edges by not only restricting the cut but by keeping the edge straight as well.

I hope to before long have the opportunity to test with different weapons and maybe on a full-sized scutum to see what deflection characteristics it might have with a proper curvature.

Matt

Addendum- I found that Oriental Plane wood (from which the Dura scutum was made) actually has nearly the same density as Birch, and is described as having the same fiber-closing feature in reaction to splits, so it is quite understandable that Roman scuta would be made from both these woods.

M
See FABRICA ROMANORVM Recreations in the Marketplace for custom helmets, armour, swords and more!
Wow a laudes for you! This is very interesting infomation and gives a clear indication of why scutums (or is it scuti) were constructed the way they were ( or at least what we know about it). I am wondering: Do you think there would be much difference with a two wood system Linden wood (birch family) and oak core layer? I mention that because I seem to recall that construction on at least one find report. The layering of different materials is interestingly how modern tank armor is constructed.
John Kaler MSG, USA Retired
Member Legio V (Tenn, USA)
Staff Member Ludus Militus https://www.facebook.com/groups/671041919589478/
Owner Vicus and Village: https://www.facebook.com/groups/361968853851510/
Thanks John,

Well Linden is also known as basswood, which is very, very different than birch- it's soft and a lovely carving wood, and it was used I understand for Norman Kite shields, but its density, etc. are not at all like birch.

I know it's been said there is some evidence of multi-wood scuta, but I've not seen any proper referencing for it- I only know of the Dura Europos, Kasr al-Harit, and the Masada examples, the latter of which mentions no species, and the other two are Plane and Birch, whcih as I mentioned, are very similar. Scuta are already composite pieces- and I suppose a harder wood in the middle and softer, more flexible ones on the outside could be good, however I'd be surprised if it were common. Clearly the referenceable examples are single species, and with the variations in just facing materials, like anything else it seems there was a good deal of variation.

It would be nice if someone could finally reference the multi-wood scutum actually...

And it's scutA- um goes to a (think of bacterium and bacteria)- it's definitely not scutumS LOL
See FABRICA ROMANORVM Recreations in the Marketplace for custom helmets, armour, swords and more!
Excellent post Matt ! A laus from me too.......just the sort of practical test to add to our knowledge. More please!! Smile
"dulce et decorum est pro patria mori " - Horace
(It is a sweet and proper thing to die for ones country)

"No son-of-a-bitch ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country" - George C Scott as General George S. Patton
Paul McDonnell-Staff
Thanks Paul- indeed I love to learn this kind of practical stuff. We can theorize until the cows come home but all too often something we'd have never expected will show up under actual trial. I've been thinking that the damage I might do to a full-sized complete scutum of this type wouldn't be catastrophic and could indeed be some cool 'battle scars' so when I get the time to make my own, I'll try a few things on it- pilum, hasta, falx (when I make one of those), and definitley arrows.
This test and others like it demonstrate that ancient Greek and Roman armour was never intended to be 'bulletproof' but rather provide a degree of protection that was mostly effective, commensurate with lightness ( any soldier spent far longer carrying grear than using it in battle).....the same or similar results come up for helmets, body armour etc..

My son re-enacts crusades/early mediaeval warfare, and has a reasonably authentic kite shield ,apart fom it's re-inforced edges ( with dog-chew hide which is sacrificial and there to prevent splits, because they are fought with far more frequently than the real thing). His group also test with 'sharps', with similar results - which leave some very realistic 'battle scars' !!

"No son-of-a-bitch ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country" - George C Scott as General George S. Patton
Paul McDonnell-Staff
Oh absolutely- it's way to easy to micro-examine pieces and go by our modern method of studying all the issues that could ever go wrong, but that's simply not reasonable in cases like these. A balance was definitely important. That's largely why I'm wondering if any skin coating wasn't part of the protective value from weapons but from the infintely more 'hazardous' branches, and whatever the scutum would encounter 99.999% of its life. Fabric is rather less tough thus less resistent to abraison. Either that or it was a painting surface- gesso was also used and that clearly doesn't have any protective value to speak of.
Given that most Greek and Roman shields seem to have had covers to protect them from everyday wear and tear, I'd guess your second reason the more likely, but I wouldn't underestimate a glued on linen/parchment skin's ability to assist structurally by holding the thing together, prevent the spread of 'splits' etc......

Paul McDonnell-Staff
Good point. The glue-soaked linen is the major element that keeps everything together and resists splitting- the parchment is extremely thin, but perhaps may add some little extra help, but seems an excessively 'different' material for just that. There must have been a rather more specific purpose and given just how rarely combat occurred, combined with its all but uselessness against weapons, split resistence to me seems unlikely- something more commonly useful is what I'd go for. But I plan to test the split theory too Wink It didn't make a difference with respect to piercing attacks so those are out, and with the increased force of an edge slash, I'm very doubtful it could possibly do better there. Maybe it helps with slashing or glancing blows?
Very nice. I really love to see this kind of tests (and the results).

Okay, not as good as your experiment (as it wasn't one) but here is a photo of the impact a (blunt) trident can have on a scutum (2 layers of 3,6 mm plywood with linen cover front and back). Happened during fight on one of our last events. Trident went in and the second point hadn't enough momentum anymore to get in. About 2 cm out on the back.

[Image: DSC05831.jpg]

I also have trew some pila onto different types of shield boards (including layered ones), but no pics, unfortunately
ALA I BATAVORUM
Quote:Good point. The glue-soaked linen is the major element that keeps everything together and resists splitting- the parchment is extremely thin, but perhaps may add some little extra help, but seems an excessively 'different' material for just that. There must have been a rather more specific purpose and given just how rarely combat occurred, combined with its all but uselessness against weapons, split resistence to me seems unlikely- something more commonly useful is what I'd go for. But I plan to test the split theory too Wink It didn't make a difference with respect to piercing attacks so those are out, and with the increased force of an edge slash, I'm very doubtful it could possibly do better there. Maybe it helps with slashing or glancing blows?

Andy of RAT ,spoke to me recently of a test he did using glue soaked linen on a 3 plank sheild , with good results resisting piercing & slashing attacks to the shield face . he may have more to add :wink:

Good thread Guys this type of experiment is very important in helping us understand our kit. cheers Big Grin
Hannibal ad portas ! Dave Bartlett . " War produces many stories of fiction , some of which are told until they are believed to be true." U S Grant
Most excellent Matt!

Nice to see your experiment mirroring ours!

A piece of scutum board was found in England.. alder over ash... and we've found it stronger than birch over birch.

No comparison to luan is there!
Hibernicus

LEGIO IX HISPANA, USA

You cannot dig ditches in a toga!

[url:194jujcw]http://www.legio-ix-hispana.org[/url]
A nationwide club with chapters across N America
Fantastic experiment! Laudes! Big Grin
Valete,
Titvs Statilivs Castvs - Sander Van Daele
LEG XI CPF
COH VII RAET EQ (part of LEG XI CPF)

MA in History
Quote:Most excellent Matt!

Nice to see your experiment mirroring ours!

A piece of scutum board was found in England.. alder over ash... and we've found it stronger than birch over birch.

No comparison to luan is there!

I remember you saying you were to do some experimenting Sean, but I didn't ever see it- did you post anything?

Have you a reference for this 'English' scutum? I've never heard of anything found in Europe...
We did some similar testing on some of our first scutums with similar results.

Also tossed pilum at one with a linen cover and have sinced tossed pilum at one with a rawhide cover. No significant penetration either, less with hide, just "dents". Our scientific testing has been postponed/rescheduled for late 2009.. but that may not happen as someone else is funding it.

Right now we are on generation 5 in our series of "real scutums" and are planning on some serious destructive testing I talked about in an earlier thread, doing it about March 09.

When I'm done today I'll look up the reference to the alder over ash section

Good work, Matt! Keep at it!

Hibernicus
Hibernicus

LEGIO IX HISPANA, USA

You cannot dig ditches in a toga!

[url:194jujcw]http://www.legio-ix-hispana.org[/url]
A nationwide club with chapters across N America

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How to Test A Scutum Hibernicus 30 7,957 04-12-2008, 01:07 AM
Last Post: scythius