Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tribune Impression and Muscle Curiass ?
Indeed! First, I'd like to mention that there was actually an entire Praetorian cohort at Ft Mac this year, complete with their own Tribune:
[Image: CohorsIVPraetoria3.jpg]

I mention this in order to both honor and thank them for the enormous expenditure of money, time, and effort they put forth to get the unit to the field in time for this event. Most of them are also members of Legion VI Victrix, and the unit (tentatively flagged Cohors IV Praetoria, the Ist being in Rome, and the IIIrd in Milan) will remain primarily a secondary impression of Legion VI.

That been said, here's a review of the armor
[Image: serranoandfeldon.jpg]
The one on the left
is primarily 16 guage bronze that's been antiqued; it's quite heavy for it's size (perhaps 25 pounds), but not uncomfortable to wear. It was built by a fellow named Ugo Serrano. Although his fortay is Medieval armor, Ugo has a knack for rendering the human figure in metal that's spectacular to behold. Like most guys who make really cool stuff, however, he's exceedingly difficult to get ahold of. There was a total of three fittings, and this armor is extremely close to my measurements, only a lot more "cut" (obviously). The cost will be $2,300 once it's finished (it still has the shoulder artwork and the gorgon head to be added). I requested that the hammer marks be left on the armor. In it's unfinished state it looks like more of a Greek style, and I'm tempted now to keep it that way. The armor is secured by a twistable post at each shoulder, and heavy rings that thong shut at the sides.

The one on the right
is of 18 guage brass that's been antiqued, almost to the point of being silver. It's around 18 pounds. It was built by the famed German armorer Antoni Feldon, for no one in particular (I bought it based on Flavius' recommendation, without having seen it first). Antoni is clearly a guy that has been making these for some time... the rim all around each piece is very thick (I'm fairly certain there's a thin wire within, whereas the Serrano cuirass sports the more common folded rim). The nipples are both symmetric and concentric, unlike the "natural" ones on the Serrano cuirass... frankly, don't know which style I like more (OK, conversation takes a wierd turn...). The armor is secured the a twistable post at each shoulder, and strapped shut on each side.... this is less historically accurate in my opinion; still, the Romans used straps-and-buckles galore on their equipment, so it's quite feasable. Besides, I've actually donned a muscle cuirass that uses the hinge-and-pin device seen on much of the evidence... wow, what a PITA! The Feldon armor, cut cavalry style like it is, is a dream to sit it, whereas the Serrano armor with it's "belly" is less so. The cost was $1,525.

Conclusion
I agree entirely with Matt Amt about going custom. With one caveat: make sure you've seen the guy's work first! Of all the equipment a Greco-Romophile might commission someone to make him (or her), this is at the top of my list of Things You Don't Want To Look F'd Up. Matt's links will give any armorer more than enough ideas to work with. And yet, though every single example shows a bottom rim of some sort, and heavy pectoral muscles (the abdominals on some of the Roman ones are not very well defined), I'm consitantly amazed to see reenactors photographed in cuirasses featuring a “24 packâ€ÂÂ

Messages In This Thread
Thanks!! - by Gaius Minucius Hadrianus - 08-24-2005, 01:42 AM
armor review - by Anonymous - 08-25-2005, 11:48 AM
You\'ve got questions, we\'ve got answers... - by Anonymous - 08-26-2005, 09:11 AM
mind... wandering... - by Anonymous - 08-27-2005, 06:45 AM
Re: mind... wandering... - by drsrob - 09-05-2005, 04:29 PM
Wow! Cool Thread!! - by tlclark - 11-22-2005, 04:33 PM
Re: Wow! Cool Thread!! - by Theodosius the Great - 11-23-2005, 01:43 AM
steel musculata? - by jsantell - 11-23-2005, 10:48 AM
Muscle cuirass - by Caballo - 11-24-2005, 08:48 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Military Tribune Impression, Various Periods- Questions Corvus 0 241 11-24-2021, 02:29 PM
Last Post: Corvus
  Tribune\'s Muscle Cuirass iskander 24 5,540 05-14-2014, 09:19 AM
Last Post: PhilusEstilius
  Putting Together a Late Republican Tribune Impression kevair464 5 1,955 11-06-2009, 05:57 PM
Last Post: kevair464