Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tribune\'s Muscle Cuirass
Hello everyone.

I came across this picture on the net. I believe this fine gentleman is reenacting the part of a Tribune. I'm not an expert on the matter so I'm not able to comment on the historical accuracy/authenticity of his muscle cuirass but I have to say, I think it's a wonderful looking piece! Does anybody recognize it? Can anyone tell me who the manufacturer or custom designer is?

Cheers!

[Image: Tribuno.jpg]
Omar
Actually, having said that, isn't it slightly too long?
Omar
Omar.
I think that you are correct in thinking it to be too long for I am sure he would be unable to ride a horse at all due to the extra length at the abdoman, he may well be able to sit on a seat or chair but a horse ride might just be a bit difficult.
I am sure indeed that most officers of any rank whatever would have a short cuirass for field use and not what might be considered as a poser type as worn by Emperors and other high ranking officials.
Brian Stobbs
Thanks Brian. Yes, I can see now that it really isn't very practical or combat effective. Apart from the length, I must admit I still love the overall design, even if the six pack abs are a little OTT.

Poser type? Lol I've been exposed on only my fifth post here... Wink
Omar
Omar.
I hope you don't think I was refering to yourself as a poser it was indeed the type of cuirass I was talking about, for this style is what I consider as a poser type that were worn by most Emperors with the abdoman covered.

I do agree the picture you show is in fact a nice looking cuirass but not the type that would have been worn by any officer who would be traveling on horse back in the field.
Brian Stobbs
That's an old picture of the Lafe event I think.
Hi Brian, no not at all, I know you weren't - although the day you see me wearing a red ribbon around my cuirass, then I'll freely call myself a poser! Wink
Omar
Omar.
That will be good for then you will have been promoted to the higher rank of society.
Brian Stobbs
]When I had an armorer create a cuirass for me, the length was a concern. He stressed that I needed to be able to sit comfortably in it, which was accomplished. At age 70 I felt that exaggerated abs were a bit much. So there is minimal curvature at the upper breast area. Oh, and there is ample room for an old man's belly. If I have to sit a horse, I'll need help up.
Petrus Augustinus
[attachment=9855]cuirass1Medium.gif[/attachment]

[attachment=9856]point1.jpg[/attachment]
Here is a cuirass I made some years ago for the latte Doug' Arnold and a view of him taking part on horse back, this is indeed the type of armour that would have been used for officers in the field.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Brian Stobbs
Here is a cuirass I made some years ago for the latte Doug' Arnold and a view of him taking part on horse back, this is indeed the type of armour that would have been used for officers in the field.
Brian Stobbs
The cuirass I made for Doug' was based on a one from a statue of Drusus
[attachment=9857]drusus.jpg[/attachment]
in a museum in Cagliary Sardinia.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Brian Stobbs
Brian, your cuirass reproduction has to be one of the finest (the other being Matt Lukes') and most accurate looking that I have ever seen. I particularly like the way in which you've interpreted the top layer of ptyruges as having been permanently attached to the body of the cuirass itself. How are they attached, if you don't mind me asking? Also, is there some permanent form of liner inside the cuirass?

I also very much like the way in which you've decorated the cuirass - is that embossing I see? It is fantastically done!

Someday, I'd like to tackle a similar and ambitious project such as this myself, and appreciate any insights you have.
Alexander
Hello Brian...

In the picture that Omar originally posted here... would you say that that cuirass is about 2? too long?

--Patrick
The curiass at the beginning of this post could be too long BUT the musculature is not correct. It does not conform to any statuary nor any actual finds be they Greek, Etruscan, or Southern Italian.

Alexander is correct, that Matt Lukes makes thus far the most accurate musculata. There is someone else making one but I have not seen the finished product.

Brians curiass is....of course......wonderful. I like the scroll work. The face is done in repousse and I think its applied.
"You have to laugh at life or else what are you going to laugh at?" (Joseph Rosen)

Paolo

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Iron/Steel muscle cuirass Damianus Albus 3 1,494 10-18-2017, 05:45 PM
Last Post: Virilis
  Hinge pins on a Muscle Cuirass Pointer 34 5,222 07-24-2013, 01:22 AM
Last Post: Pointer
  Looking for Pictures of Roman Muscle Cuirass\' Pointer 13 5,439 12-18-2012, 09:59 PM
Last Post: PhilusEstilius