Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A History of the Idea of Glued Linen Armour
(09-25-2021, 01:20 PM)Hanny Wrote: Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence, those in favour of the use of glue in the production process do so from the incomplete production process being recorded, ...
Peter Connolly explains his basis for the theory, can you show us you have read it? (But as the article and linked summary explain, he actually got it from earlier summaries of a mistranslation of a French summary of a medieval chronicle written in Greek).

The only production process for linen armour in an ancient text which I have seen is the armour which Pharaoh Amasis dedicated in a Greek sanctuary. This armour was woven from thick threads.

(09-25-2021, 01:20 PM)Hanny Wrote: and pictorials showing the process done in the home, ...
Which pictures? The researchers from the Midwest could not find any pictures of ancient linen armour being made.

(09-25-2021, 01:20 PM)Hanny Wrote: so not a complicated process, just as Greek plays masks, and Egyptian mummification prob used glue and linen to get the effect they were after, ...
Could you show us that you have read the article and what it says about the materials which Egyptologists say were used in those mummy masks?

(09-25-2021, 01:20 PM)Hanny Wrote: Internet is full of books translating the use of glue ... for linen armour that predate the example of the translations already given
Could you give examples? The book by Larcher does not mention glue, it mentions the 'felting' process in Niketas Akominatos (who died in the 13th century CE and describes armour in the 12th century CE!) And Pierre Henri Larcher seems to have died in 1812- are there any other sciences where you would rely on a reference book published in 1812?

There has been a lot of misinformation on this subject, so its very important to go back and check what can actually be traced back to specific sources and what is just something people say. I used to believe Peter Connolly invented the "glued linen" theory, but he was actually copying reference books from the 19th century which failed to find and read their sources.
Nullis in verba

I have not checked this forum frequently since 2013, but I hope that these old posts have some value. I now have a blog on books, swords, and the curious things humans do with them.

Messages In This Thread
RE: A History of the Idea of Glued Linen Armour - by Sean Manning - 09-25-2021, 05:56 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Wink Greek linen armour - what did it look like? Draugr the Greedy 4 1,956 12-14-2019, 04:14 PM
Last Post: Feinman
  Earliest Modern Mention of Glued Linen Armor? Creon01 11 4,513 12-13-2017, 04:15 PM
Last Post: Sean Manning
  Glued Linen Armour- a simple test Matt Lukes 239 61,098 03-09-2010, 04:42 PM
Last Post: PMBardunias