Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A History of the Idea of Glued Linen Armour
Until I published this article, some scholars knew about the medieval armour in Niketas Akominatos, and many people knew about the glued linen armour in Peter Connolly, but there was no way to connect the two. Akominatos mentions salt and wine but not glue, and Connolly mentions glue but not salt or wine. My article shows how the glue appeared as Akominatos was summarized in French, then translated into English, then summarized again. It also shows how other medieval and early modern sources describe cloth armour made in a different way.

Then I define four criteria which any interpretation of the armour with the shoulder flaps needs to meet, and list methods which meet those criteria. The glue theory fails one of the criteria.
Nullis in verba

I have not checked this forum frequently since 2013, but I hope that these old posts have some value. I now have a blog on books, swords, and the curious things humans do with them.

Messages In This Thread
RE: A History of the Idea of Glued Linen Armour - by Sean Manning - 09-24-2021, 12:00 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Wink Greek linen armour - what did it look like? Draugr the Greedy 4 1,960 12-14-2019, 04:14 PM
Last Post: Feinman
  Earliest Modern Mention of Glued Linen Armor? Creon01 11 4,534 12-13-2017, 04:15 PM
Last Post: Sean Manning
  Glued Linen Armour- a simple test Matt Lukes 239 61,279 03-09-2010, 04:42 PM
Last Post: PMBardunias