Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A History of the Idea of Glued Linen Armour
(09-02-2021, 01:37 AM)Feinman Wrote:
(09-01-2021, 06:00 AM)Sean Manning Wrote: Hi Todd, this is the first I have heard of any kind of felt being made from hemp!  Could you point me to more information such as a book?  A quick DuckDuckGo just gives me advertisement for this product- apparently sometimes it is painted with bitumen and used in roofing?

That's as much as I've found too, but I don't have access to academic journal databases currently.  IF the stuffed fabric technique was used by folks like the Greeks and Etruscans to make armour in the manner of the ichcahuipill or gambeson, then felting the flax might create a better stuffing than just stuffing the armour with the fibers, and might be lighter and more stable than using old clothes, or those could have been used to create the felt. The fresco is just as likely to represent regular quilted armour of layers (though that would be heavier, I'd think) or even a twined armour quilted between linen layers.  Twined material benefits from being quilted in place, and I believe strongly that is what is seen in the Etruscan urn depictions.  I am going to re-create one of the urn armours with my twining project.

I think with hemp/flax felt you may have to consider the method of manufacture, whether or not the process is possible or practical by hand?

Plant fibres have been used since the ancient past for weaving, but felted?
Ivor

"And the four bare walls stand on the seashore. a wreck a skeleton a monument of that instability and vicissitude to which all things human are subject. Not a dwelling within sight, and the farm labourer, and curious traveller, are the only persons that ever visit the scene where once so many thousands were congregated." T.Lewin 1867

Messages In This Thread
RE: A History of the Idea of Glued Linen Armour - by Crispianus - 09-02-2021, 12:57 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Wink Greek linen armour - what did it look like? Draugr the Greedy 4 1,977 12-14-2019, 04:14 PM
Last Post: Feinman
  Earliest Modern Mention of Glued Linen Armor? Creon01 11 4,565 12-13-2017, 04:15 PM
Last Post: Sean Manning
  Glued Linen Armour- a simple test Matt Lukes 239 61,665 03-09-2010, 04:42 PM
Last Post: PMBardunias