Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A History of the Idea of Glued Linen Armour
RAT veterani veteranaeque will remember the long thread on glued linen armour ("Linothorax vs Quilted linen vs spolas") which inspired a book by three researchers in the Midwestern USA. It quickly became clear that none of the people putting this theory forward could point to strong evidence, so where did it come from?

My article on the history of this idea has appeared in the Canadian journal Mouseion Vol. 17 No. 3 https://doi.org/10.3138/mous.17.3.003 With the help of Joe Balmos and Todd Feinman (who are in no way responsible for my conclusions) I show that linen armour was first linked to glue in a bad English translation of a French summary of a Byzantine chronicle, not in an archaeological report or an ancient text. There was never anything substantial behind the theory (although it is always possible that in the future archaeologists will turn up some evidence that some people somewhere before 1970 made armour by gluing linen together).

And that will finish the Manichees!

If you do not have access to this journal (its cheap enough that many public libraries have subscriptions), and you are not on my list for receiving copies, send me an email address and I can add you to the list.
Nullis in verba

I have not checked this forum frequently since 2013, but I hope that these old posts have some value. I now have a blog on books, swords, and the curious things humans do with them.

Messages In This Thread
A History of the Idea of Glued Linen Armour - by Sean Manning - 07-27-2021, 12:10 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Wink Greek linen armour - what did it look like? Draugr the Greedy 4 1,955 12-14-2019, 04:14 PM
Last Post: Feinman
  Earliest Modern Mention of Glued Linen Armor? Creon01 11 4,513 12-13-2017, 04:15 PM
Last Post: Sean Manning
  Glued Linen Armour- a simple test Matt Lukes 239 61,092 03-09-2010, 04:42 PM
Last Post: PMBardunias