Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ancient Armies YouTube video: Could an Infantry Line Wheel?
Polybius says that each Roman infantryman occupied three feet of breadth for their body and arms and another three feet so they could step and use their weapons freely (Polybius 18.30.5ff). You can fudge it a bit, like Michael Taylor's 'checkerboard' model, or choose to disbelieve, but that is what he says.

Here is a description of hand to hand combat with no formation at all https://bookandsword.com/2014/04/03/a-pr...ghanistan/ We hear of the same in Europe in the 18th and 19th centuries, where infantry had poor weapons and little or no training in hand to hand combat so if the lines came together everything became a few moments of chaos until one side ran away.

IIRC, Big Al was leading his army diagonally forward. Presumably this was columns of individual sub-units each advancing at an angle and then deploying into a wider shallower formation which could only move straight forward as the King's Men started to move.
Nullis in verba

I have not checked this forum frequently since 2013, but I hope that these old posts have some value. I now have a blog on books, swords, and the curious things humans do with them.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Ancient Armies YouTube video: Could an Infantry Line Wheel? - by Sean Manning - 05-25-2021, 06:15 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Ranks of Ancient Greek/Hellenic Armies? jabames 5 5,289 05-02-2013, 01:02 AM
Last Post: Sean Manning
  Video-Documentaries About Ancient Greece, Warfare&Technology Agesilaos 26 17,456 11-25-2012, 05:19 AM
Last Post: lucius Gellius cuniculus
  light infantry in Greek and roman armies eugene 0 1,357 06-24-2010, 12:53 PM
Last Post: eugene