Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The two armies in the Imperial Presence late 4th C
(11-21-2020, 07:42 PM)Nathan Ross Wrote: This would, of course, suggest that the praesental section of the eastern ND list was updated after c.394. This would not, I think, have been impossible, and would not mean that the entirely of the pars orientalis would have been updated too...

I think it was Jones who suggested 408 as a possible year for an update of the eastern list on the basis of a post-Stilicho détente. Otherwise I was under the impression most commentators regard the pars orientalis as reflecting the state of affairs in 395 without any later changes. If there were further updates, how would that work? The eastern bureaucracy sends details of its military organization to the west? Why would they do that? Perhaps the information arrived in the West through more "informal" channels, spies or just gossip. Something along the lines of "I say, old chap, my cousin who works in accounts in Constantinople tells me they've created a second Magister Militum Praesentalis. You'd better update your little book."

Messages In This Thread
RE: The two armies in the Imperial Presence late 4th C - by Colonel Chabert - 11-30-2020, 11:45 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Roman military presence in Judea Jason Micallef 12 2,391 02-15-2019, 10:43 AM
Last Post: Robert Vermaat
  Late Roman Field Armies Protectores Donutici 27 9,582 04-18-2016, 10:45 PM
Last Post: Frank
  The Presence of the Roman Army in NW Hispania mcbishop 1 1,837 11-26-2015, 08:45 PM
Last Post: Simplex