Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help With Realistic Late Roman Clothing for Starting Out?
Quote:Did most late Roman tunics have side vents? I notice this with ones vendors provide online.

Based on the way these tunics were historically constructed, the slites at the end of the skirt are entirely possible. I would strongly recommend getting your Tunic from Medievaldesign if you don't have it done by someone who can do it custom.

http://www.medievaldesign.com/eng-prodot..._chiave=33

The colors in the images on their site are examples, they offer pretty much any combination of colors.

Quote:Also, is there a single style of tunic that could accurately span for a few centuries, and still be worn to depict a specific period, or do I have to pay much closer attention to the fashions of the decades?

What are some changes in Roman dress by the times of Justinian and Belisarius? I'm noticing the Coptic patterned tunics are ubiquitous up to that point, but at what point do those fade out of Roman wear?

Basically, the Coptic tunics you can buy will work fine until the late 6th century. Beginning in the early 7th century the pattern changes and Tunics switch to shaped tunics. A T-shaped decoration on the front of the Tunic is more accurate for the Justinianic army, but the standard ones with roundels or patches are entirely appropriate as well.

Quote:Which are sources to get period shoes/boots without hobnails? I want to be able to walk on delicate floors around the house as well as the field, so I'm hoping there is a historical precedent for versions without them, but to what loss or gain do hobnails provide?

You'll want hobnails for outdoors, definitely. But having a pair of Soleae (Sandals) or some shoes without hobnails to wear indoors I would recommend as well.

For boots, if you want custom and comfortable ones, go with Martin Moser. He can make whatever you so desire. Although unlike the image you posted, I recommend you purchase a pair of Campagi. Campagi were in use from the 3rd-7th centuries AD (at least) and will work fine for several impressions.

https://sutor.jimdo.com/4th-century-ad/l...ampagus-i/

Quote:Finally, how do I handle the issue of laundering my garments safely? Do you dry-clean, most of the time, and how often do you clean them? What was clothing hygiene like at the time?

Dry clean coptic tunics and spot clean any stains. Socks, Trousers, anything without decorations I think you'll be fine throwing them in the wash and then hanging them to dry.

Quote:image

Just to point out a few problems with this image:

1. That's the Leiden Spangenhelm which dates to the 6th century. These probably were coming into use in the mid-5th century, but it lacks things like the leather edging and a quilted coif.

2. He's wearing a wide belt. This is the stickler - different belt fittings represent different eras. A wide belt from the mid-4th century won't work for mid-5th, and wide belts don't work at all for 6th. Scabbard fittings, sword hilts, brooches, and belt fittings are really what determines your era.

3. Sword Hilt - That looks like a Gladius hilt, which won't work at all for Late Roman. Those classic Roman style hilts with the semicircular pommel and spherical/egg-shaped pommels disappear around 325 AD. They get replaced by Germanic-Type 1 Hilts, mostly.

4. Shield - too small. Although the Germanics would use Smaller shields, and so would Roman cavalry and standard bearers/some officers, there's no evidence that mainline infantry were doing this until much later. All Roman shields were about 38-42 inches long and about 36-42 inches wide. That shield there is maybe about 28 inches which is much too small.

Quote:Once again, it is no guarantee that I will be getting into Roman reenactment, but this has been very helpful information to know at least how people dressed in the late Roman eras discussed, and how I might go about starting out.

Where do you live? I can point you to a local group.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Help With Realistic Late Roman Clothing for Starting Out? - by Flavivs Aetivs - 06-29-2017, 06:24 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Clothing Patterns for Late East Roman/Byzantine Decimus Brutius Varus 12 3,231 01-13-2013, 03:58 AM
Last Post: TDawson
  Just starting- C3rd Roman InsulaVecta 33 7,270 10-08-2011, 05:17 PM
Last Post: magister clarissimus