Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help With Realistic Late Roman Clothing for Starting Out?
Hi Jason,

Did most late Roman tunics have side vents? 
I think not.

Also, is there a single style of tunic that could accurately span for a few centuries? 
The coptic tunic can be safely used from the late rd until the early 6th century I think. Especially if you're still going for a 'commoner' look, which has less gaudy decorations and is less prone to fashion changes. 

What are some changes in Roman dress by the times of Justinian and Belisarius? 
From the mid-6th c. onwards you see the development of the single clavus down the middle of the tunic.

Are we allowed to directly discuss vendors, here? Which are sources to get period shoes/boots without hobnails? 
No hobnails is no problem, both were worn (especially by civilians) and I don't think vendors would have a problem with making your shoes without them. Wink

Finally, how do I handle the issue of laundering my garments safely? 
First wash always cold and by hand - if you don't trust your garment, wash with something that preserves colour. I once experienced that with a €300 tunic from a German vendor, which surprised me. I wash my clothing in the machine, on 30 degrees C. No problems (separating light from dark fabrics of course).
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)

Messages In This Thread
RE: Help With Realistic Late Roman Clothing for Starting Out? - by Robert Vermaat - 06-27-2017, 05:13 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Clothing Patterns for Late East Roman/Byzantine Decimus Brutius Varus 12 3,227 01-13-2013, 03:58 AM
Last Post: TDawson
  Just starting- C3rd Roman InsulaVecta 33 7,263 10-08-2011, 05:17 PM
Last Post: magister clarissimus