Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Unusual Thracian Tube-and-Yoke corselet
In order to prevent the pteryx alignment from shifting and the chest panel or yoke/rear middle section from drifting away from the longitudinal axis, the two additional short pteryges on the right side of the armour have to overlap the first two short pteryges of the three pteryges wide section in a congruent manner. Only being aware of depctions showing one or two rows of pteryges along the whole cirumference, is another reason why I chose a congruent overlap instead of a staggered one. Said kind ov overlapping allows for a visual impression of a single layer running along the whole circumference, after all. 

Thomas,

What you presented looks very similar to what I depicted above except you have the pteryges overlapped instead of staggered.  Is that accurate?  I would ask where you have seen pteryges overlapped rather than staggered when one row is beneath another.  This does not make much sense to me given the function of the standard two rows of pteryges to maintain protection as you move without presenting a gap.

As to the lower depiction, there is, or was, a thread on here on "double breasted" armor where I presented something very similar, so I am sympathetic.  But I am not sure that this depiction isn't just flawed now that I have experience with this armor.  I find that most vases thought to show double breasted T-Ys can in fact be shown to depict a hoplite shifting his "tube" around to lace it like a woman does a bra.  This is the only way I could lace mine real tight.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Unusual Thracian Tube-and-Yoke corselet - by Paul Bardunias - 02-16-2016, 08:01 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Tube and Yoke Term Adventurous Artisan 11 3,695 10-31-2021, 07:48 AM
Last Post: Crispianus